View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #40
Ol'Soldier

It is A Learning Experience with An Expensive Curve

After much talk, the DW (That’s dependent wife in the military, not the other names) and I decided to purchase a TV and a TT. Her parents had a long history of every type of RV possible.

We spent a lot of time online conducting research of both new and used TT’s which were posted for sale throughout the United States. We had already purchased our TV and knew that we wanted to keep the tow weight to about two-thirds of the unit’s capability.

Knowing what we wanted in the TT and the basic layout which was a compromise based on the TV limitations, we finally settled on either a Dutchman or a Summerland with Dutchman as our first choice. Unfortunately, we could not find either south of the Mason Dixon line. When we checked on the Dutchman in Iowa, it was pending sale. We found the Summerland in Wisconsin at the best price even though other units existed east of the Mississippi.

Since we purchased the unit by phone based on the online listing at the dealership, we did not see the unit in person until it arrived at our house. Yes, we paid for shipping from Wisconsin to Texas. Don’t know who at Keystone authorized shipment of the unit, but it would not have passed my QA inspection. The dealership also did absolutely nothing to prepare the unit for deliver to the customer. I received a dirty (inside and out) unit with many cosmetic warranty issues inside the unit. The dealership did not list in narrative form the included standard and optional accessories in the unit. When it arrived, the unit was not as depicted in the dealership’s online pictorial presentation. It was of another unit. The dealership agreed to fill the propane tanks, provide a battery, install an electric coupler jack, and install a 24” HD color TV. Their area dealership installed the items and billed the up country dealership. As to the cosmetic warranty issues, I sent photos and description of the issues to the area dealership and waited three weeks for the appointment. Upon arrival at the dealership, I found out they had not bothered to obtain approval from Keystone prior to my appointment. All but the replacement of one set of blinds was accomplished. We are still waiting for that set of blinds.

Both RV manufacturers and dealers have a long way to go to arrive at the level of professionalism of the major auto dealers. The RV industry has a waiting customer base that they don’t know how to take care of in an appropriate time and manner and who deserve far better quality and treatment than is being provided.

They need to get out of their diapers and suit up.
DHS, ICE - Retired
2014 Ford F150 XLT SC
2014 Summerland 1890
Ol'Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote