View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Let's wait and see what the experts at TL have to say about towing with a half ton.

You know, I wonder if the Wright brothers ran up against this much "it'll never work" "it won't get off the ground" "Stick to the tried and true" "Horses don't break down" "that contraption has bicycle parts, it's too light to be safe"

Everyone is entitled to your "OPINION" but that doesn't necessarily mean that the engineers will agree with your "user experience" as the only valid means of reliability. Things change in the process of product improvement. What was true last year, last month yesterday may well be invalid today. Half tons are not what they were 10 years ago, so let's just wait and see what the outcome of the TL test reveals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azlee56 View Post
Ha, glad you said that. I tell my BF what is said here or there and what I have asked and most times he is happy that I research stuff and read, but he told me sometimes he wished I didn't cause then I will worry...or he says "don't believe everything you read" lol. I do know that! Depends on so much and when we aren't looking at the stuff/problems and are only reading a iffy detail of it, then the input can be right on or not (if the wrong stuff wasn't detailed).

I do enjoy this place though, although sometimes I am afraid to ask questions. I can wait to go on a long trip and post a couple of pictures.
JRTJH, There are many that safely tow a 5er with a F150, Ram 1500, or Chevy 1500 or any other 1/2 ton TV. the important part is to not push the limits. Many 1/2 ton trucks now days have close to or at 10,000# tow ratings. These can easily pull 8,K to 8.5k loads, and up to 10K just working harder.

What i am saying that once the Payload or CGVW are exceeded the risk are greater with a 1/2 ton compared to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote