View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

On our 2008 5th Cougar, the package you refer to is called the "Polar Package". This includes an enclosed underbelly and heated tanks. Not sure about the "heating" of the dump valves - I think they are merely enclosed by the 1/4 in Coroplast plastic covering.
You should note that the heating that takes place only occurs when your propane furnace is running. They are not heated in any other way. Having a portable 110v heater running won't keep your tanks or pipes in the belly from freezing.
In my opinion the amount of heat that reaches the tanks and keeps them "warm" is not great. If you have examined the enclosed underbelly, it is not that airtight as there are large spaces in several locations which would allow cold air to penetrate into the underbelly.
As I have stated before, I believe the Polar aka Glacier Package is more of a marketing gimmick to make it sound like these units will stand up to freezing temperatures. If you were camped out in temperatures well below freezing for any length of time and did not have your furnace running constantly, it wouldn't take too long before both your pipes and tanks would start to freeze. Your dump valves would also freeze up just as quickly.
I am also puzzled as to why anyone would expect a "smoother ride when towing" because of this package. Perhaps another clever marketing strategy by Keystone. Having this feature might extend your camping season slightly but it all depends what weather conditions you are camping in. I wouldn't trust the Polar Package if I were camped out in freezing cold temperatures for any length of time.