View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Houndie Dog

My first pulling truck was a 2009 3/4 Chevy with a Vortec 6.0L. I pulled a 326MKS 38' Cougar that weighs in around 11K to 11.5K....... The engine pulled fine, but going up hills was really slow and high RPM's. The mileage was 6-8 MPG pulling. The GCVW was 1500lbs over the limit of the truck.
I sold that and bought a Dodge with a 6.7 Cummins and I can't even tell you the difference a diesel makes, if I need to pass someone, I can pull out in the fast lane and hit 75mph easily without the truck even breathing hard....with the gas engine that was basically impossible. The diesel has twice the torque as the gas engine did (350lbs vs 630 lbs) and The Diesel also gets better mileage and I have been averaging around 10-11 MPG pulling.
My recommendation is get a diesel unless you are pulling really short, flat, trips.
Another benefit of a diesel is you can refuel at the huge fueling bays at truckstops without worrying about hitting anything.
If you do decide to get a diesel DO YOUR HOMEWORK............. everyone will have a different opinion on what truck to get but there are differences in models like MPG, EPA equipment, and addons like engine brakes.

I went through exactly the same thing you are so if you have anymore questions you can feel free to PM me.

The most important thing to remember is this....buy your RV first, then buy your truck (unless your going to spring for a dually)......if you get your truck first you may end up getting an RV you can't safely pull.

I had a superglide in my shortbed and loved it so much I put it in my longbed.......crazy I know, but if you look at my pic you can fit a mack truck between my cab and trailer and it tows great.
Good luck....
Grant

PS.... Don't jump on me for the 75mph comment, I don't usually do that, but was just seeing what the truck could do.
Hensly TS3 trailer-saver hitch
KVH TracVision R4SL
3 Basset Hounds "Lucy, Ethel, & Fred"
https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...vado/coach.jpg
Houndie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote