View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Eeeks.. Sure is a lot of non-cooperation and not-my-fault there. Like JRTJH, I'm up on the roof every 3-4 months. At least once a year, I'm checking the old dicor, pulling anything suspect off, and resealing.

Regardless, I can't come up with a valid reason why a factory seal job shouldn't last 1 year.

And I didn't know that Dicor can't be used on these roofs, so thanks for that bit of information.

The major fear is that roof coming loose in front, causing a balloon, and having it traverse the roof. I've seen that on a few RVs and it's got necessitate an expensive repair.

I've thought about using eternabond tape and the front of the cap, over the Dicor (Alpha) - anyone tried that?
I wouldn't recommend applying eternabond over the Dicor. Here's my reasoning: Eternabond is a "permanent repair" and Dicor is a "resealable repair". The Eternabond is designed to last longer than the Dicor when applied to the roof. So, if you have a "temporary seal" and apply a "permanent seal" over it, when the "temp stuff" peels off, so will the "permanent stuff".....

If you're going to apply Eternabond, then I'd suggest taking the Dicor completely off the area to be sealed, clean the area well and apply the Eternabond to a "virgin surface" without anything under it that might degrade the adhesion. Then, if you want, use Dicor over the Eternabond to seal the edges....

Keep in mind that the reason why you see "ballooning" of RV roofs on the road is because air is being forced between the roof and the TPO or EPDM membrane. That means the adhesive is not holding the membrane to the roof structure. Once the adhesive fails, anything you apply to the front seam is pretty much a "moot point" as the roofing membrane isn't affected by the front seal after the membrane is lifted away and starts ballooning.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote