View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If you do decide to use the axle weight to establish tire pressure, make sure you're loaded the same way all the time and that when you do weigh, that the trailer weight is a "true representation" of what you really will be towing. Through the camping season the amount of "stuff" will increase as will the trailer weight. There's people on here who readily admit that they are still carrying "stuff" out to their trailer before almost every trip. Holding tanks are "sometimes full, sometimes empty, etc... All of this can dramatically change the axle weight of an RV.

So, if you reduce the pressure to a "calculated axle weight" make sure the weight stays where you "calculated"

For most of us, it's simpler and much more efficient to go with the pressure recommendation of the trailer manufacturer (for the factory installed tire size) or to go with the max pressure recommended by the tire manufacturer (for increased tire size) Monitor for tread wear with an accurate treat measurement tool and if the center of the tread wears faster, reduce pressure to accommodate, but not below the manufacturer's recommendation. I've never had that occur in 40+ years of towing.

ST tires aren't like LT tires. They have a different sidewall construction and flexing of the sidewall creates heat which is any tire's enemy. In LT tires, if you add more weight, you add more pressure to support it. Although that "can be applied" to ST tires, to really be at the "gnat's behind" on pressure, you'd need to reweigh every tire before every trip (assuming the loaded weight changes) it's just simpler to run ST tires at the recommended pressures...

Just my practice and so far, I've been able to avoid any problems with tires..... your view may vary

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote