Thread: Winter camping
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
hankaye

Bryant, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
thanks Hank, heat tape not needed when hooked up?
I full time in mine and have survived the last 2 winters in Central Utah.

Heat tape your fresh water line into the trailer, Get some of the foam 3/4" tube type insulation and wrap that around the hose and heat tape. Be sure that you do NOT enclose the thermostate in the insulation... I would suggest keeping the tank's valves closed till you HAVE to dump. I sometimes put a 32 oz. cup of ice melt in the tanks when I know it's gonna be really cold (we get into the MINUS 30's and 40's here and we won't see the warm side of PLUS 10 till a month or so later... That coupled with the motion on the road will / should loosen things up so you can dump when you need to. If you have a 5er and the kitchen drain line and valve are exposed add a heat tape and the wrap around style insulation. I'll be diong that this fall, also have to rig up a place inside the basement to plug it into.

I "normaly" dig-in (use plywood skirting I was in a TT then), keeps the belly a tad warmer and keeps the wind from causing things to get any cooler. I take it that you are/ will be visiting for a few days to a week so that isn't feasiable for you.

Hope that helps some.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote