View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
LittleJoe

325 SRX tail light wiring

Had an issue with wiring this past weekend. Last time trailer was used all external lighting was working as it should. Hooked up and ready to roll find that no tail light on pass side and top rear clearance lights from driver to pass side get dimmer as they go until last one does not light.

With darkness approaching decide we can make it to campground before dark and will run with no lights on trailer. Arrive at campsite.........

Next morning start looking into things. Lower the rear part of under trailer plastic cardboard sheet for a look see...( Am totally disgusted by the way Keystone has run wiring. It is not tiestrapped anywhere and all wiring is hap hazardly run from all over toward the front. What a rats nest. They should be ashamed to produce this kind of poor workmanship. Find that wiring to pass side TL comes from right side.

Remove right lense and get intermittent light by wiggling wires. Find that TL power wire is sometimes shorting to ground on spring for bulb in socket. Repair wire temporarily with liquid tape (socket needs to be replaced)

Close eyes and try not to look while I reinstall plastic cardboard covering up the absolute mess of wiring.........

All lights now work again properly. Return home after weekend (1hr drive). All lights still working as I put 4ways on to get backed into my yard (5 mins or so). Unhook, but one last time, check lights. NOW no driver side signal light.
After lots of testing , finally find cause to be a blown fuse in truck PCM for trailer plug left turn signal (left truck signal working fine)

Replace fuse and all is fine.........Why did fuse blow???? I hope I am not entering a wiring nightmare with this trailer in future.

I will be seeing dealer soon to get a socket replacement for pass side and getting note made in my file of wiring issues. I hope it was a fluke on the fuse and this is the end of it.

I expect to have to work on old things but really am irritated to have to do this on NEW things.

I hope I dont run into more issues on trip south to Florida this winter, and trial periods are running out quickly up here for this season.

Any one else having running light wiring issues with there 325?
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote