Thread: Maxed Out??
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
datedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What the person you quoted said, "having an older version of this truck I have had mine past the payload numbers and haven't had any problems." does not categorically mean that it's always safe in every situation. Being past hte "payload numbers" means adding cargo/pin weight, not necessarily trailer weight. Additionally, he refers to his trailer GVW of 14,235, not his actual trailer weight if it were put on a scale at any given moment.

Some older 3/4 ton trucks were not rated higher than 12,000 lbs trailer weight and some were (are currently) rated significantly higher. All the ratings have to come into play, GVW, GCWR, GAWR, GAWF, payload, tire ratings, pin weight, hitch weight, passenger/cargo weight.

As an example, if you hitch a trailer to a 3/4 ton truck and load the truck and trailer to the maximum, as soon as you put 3 passengers in the cab, you'll be over your GVW. Is that unsafe? Possibly not unless you have an accident and an attorney or your insurance company start "snooping" (Please note, the same example applies to half ton, one ton and bigger trucks as well)

Each truck/trailer combination is unique and may differ greatly from another similar rig due to variations in loading, use, personal preference, family size, and a vast number of other variables.

Do the research on your specific selections and, if possible, if you have any doubts, put that rig on the scale BEFORE you sign on the dotted line.

ALSO:

Please note that a 14,000 lb fifth wheel and a 14,000 lb toy hauler (also a fifth wheel) will have SIGNIFICANTLY different pin weights, so a 3/4 ton truck that works for one 14,000 lb trailer may be vastly overloaded with a different model 14,000 lb fifth wheel.
OK, so this combination CANNOT be used as a benchmark then since conditions are unique and it all depends on how one loads the vehicle(s) even though the numbers quoted by campingcpl looked within tolerance for this setup. That was my original question in the post and I had a feeling that this scenario was questionable. But perhaps it works for this individual if he did his homework..

Obviously the best way to determine where one is with all of this is to, as you had mentioned; take both to a scale and weight them before buying, provided the dealer permits it.
datedd is offline   Reply With Quote