View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

As you pointed out, there are varying opinions which have already been expressed about extended warranties. If you did a survey of the members, I would guess that the majority would say "no".
I am not sure about your existing roadside service plan (AAA or ????) but many plans already have those features included. In addition, most of the appliances and some other fixtures have a 2 year warranty on them already.
You could purchase the insurance, and then proceed to get any "small" stuff repaired (which your husband couldn't do or does not want to tackle) and pay for those things yourself. If, during the course of 5 years, you end up spending say $750 on repairs, then you can submit a claim to get all of your money refunded by the insurance company since you have not billed them for any repairs.
A word of caution about extended warranties ---READ THE FINE PRINT!!! They have many exclusions --- many! Get a copy of the fine print stuff and take it home and go through it. You might be surprised to find what IS NOT COVERED!!
You should also ensure that the insurance company will be in business 4-5 years from now. There have been cases where they end up bankrupt or in some other financial mess and you are left out in the cold.

But, if an extended warranty gives you peace of mind ---- and you can afford it --- what can I say?