View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
f6bits

Travel light. We don’t user coolers – just what fits in the fridge/freezer. If you need more food, go to the local grocery store when you get there. Use a small grill – we use the Weber Q-120. Make sure your holding tanks are empty. No fresh water, no waste water.

Make sure your hitch is properly set up. Follow the owners manual. And double-check once you’re fully loaded and ready to go. I have tools with me to adjust the bars and hitch height to compensate for loading.

Stay away from hills and wind.

The only way to know for sure what stuff weighs is to hit the scales. Again, loaded for a trip, hit the scales. Weigh: front axle, both axles, then truck and trailer. Do the math to find out your rear axle weight and compare the numbers to your door sticker for GAWR. I know when you’re on a trip, you’re in a hurry, which is why I didn’t mention weighing the trailer by itself, which would help you calculate tongue weight. It’s the GAWRs that are most important. GVWR is also important and you’ll get that from the first two axles’ weight measurement.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote