View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
therink

Slide out side wall water leak/delamination

Hi RV veterans. I need advice.
I have a 2010 Outback 5er (3 months out of warranty). This weekend after heavy rain, I was sitting in the campground doing what I do best when I looked over at the lower front wall of my rear slideout and noticed a very faint bubble or bulge (about 3" x 5"- you have to look real close in photo to see the outline of the expanded wall area) near the lower molding/drip edge. Also noticed that there was a small 1/4" void in the caulking where the upper molding meets the lower slide wall. Also noticed that the outer molding screw was protruding about 1/16" (not all the way tight). See photos. This made me sick. I looked at the same molding on my buddy's Jayco and noticed there is putty tape behind every one of them. I checked the carpet and inside wall and everything was dry.The floor underneath the slide (above the black fabric/barrier) feels hard. I think I caught this early enough to be a real issue, as I would have noticed it earlier. I notice anything abnormal on my rig, plus I just waxed and detailed every outside surface two weeks ago. I know I could call Keystone and plead my case to have it fixed 3 months past my warranty, but I really don't want to do this. I also feel my dealer is incompetent to do this kind of repair and I am putting it mildly. I am very handy at this kind of thing, plus I dont think there is any serious damage to the sidewall wood. I am thinking of first pulling off the molding along the affected edge and check the subfloor edge for softness, etc. If damage appears to be bad, I will likely stop there and consider calling Keystone. If everything looks OK, I will purchase and install 1/8" thigh putty tape on the sidewall before putting the molding back on. Actually thinking of removing the molding (6 in all) on all three of my slides and installing the putty tape. If water got behind this one, eventually the caulking will deteriorate at the others and cause the same problem.
I am thinking that I am not the only one to have this problem. Why Keystone wouldn't use the putty tape behind a drip edge is beyond me. It is just a claim waiting to happen. They use it everywhere else on sidewalls (windows, outlet boxes, etc)./ Dont get me wrong. I love my Keystone for the way we use it. I take good care of it and have only had few problems that were resolved by Keystone without hassle. My dealer is a whole another story.
Any repair advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0107.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	429   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0108.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	430   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0109.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	431  

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote