View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
TDF5G

Well here's my experience with the black tank flush system FWIW. I have a new to me Cougar I got this summer, and used the flusher once with no problems, dump open, I used a water hose from outdoor shower faucet on RV . All went well.

This past Saturday I dumped and flushed, only the second time I've used it. This time I used a garden hose 100' hooked to the house (I'm doing this at home), with a shutoff valve on the end of the garden hose at the RV, dump open. All hooked up from the house to the RV. Shutoff is closed, I go to the house and turn on the water, then go to the RV, open shutoff on my garden hose and a split second later, I hear a noise-POP! and water is running out of a hole (for the water lines) in the floor of the bathroom into the basement storage. I had the storage door open so I noticed it very quickly. I instantly shut off the water and went inside to find water all over bathroom floor. Under the bathroom sink I found water all over and pieces of the vacuum breaker valve.

I'm pretty sure what happend was that when I turned on the water at the house, it created air pressure in the hose and when I released it all at once the breaker valve couldn't handle it and it blew the top off of it, like those water rockets we had as kids. I didn't realize that vacuum valve thing was even in there. Live and learn. Sure will do it different next time, I should have connected a water regulator.

Has anyone ever had one of these valves apart? I think I found all of the pieces. Is there supposed to a spring that goes in that valve, or does it just close by gravity? It looks just like the one in the picture on this thread.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ghlight=vacuum

P.S. I've already read all the threads about these breaker valves and I understand what it's for and what it does, I just didn't know it was there until 2 days ago. Now I know. Thanks
TDF5G is offline   Reply With Quote