View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
JBeebeX2

2004 Keystone Sprinter

My wife and I bought a Sprinter 5er in May of 2005 from Carolina Coach and Camper in Claremont, NC. It was a "leftover". It was an upgrade to a 5er with a slide out and a great length to pull with my 1/2 ton Chevy 4x4. This past Nov. 08 we had left the awning rolled out (stupidly) not thinking the wind was going to blow so hard. Well, it did. It pulled the awning out of the side of the camper. We called the dealer. CC and C and they told us to drop it off on Sunday on our way back from the NC mountains. We did. They called us and told us we had water damage that is why the awning didn't hold. They wanted us to come over. We did the following weekend (due to having jobs) they told us at that point the whole back wall had water damage and needed to be torn off and replaced. I had routinely maintained this unit. I had been on the roof at least 3X per year. Anything that even looked remotely suspicious, I caulked. The service manager pushed on a back seam (almost like he knew it was already there) and the whole side wall pushed in. The caulk was not broken, the caulk was still there. There appeared to be a normal seal. I never in my life have seen such an inferior product, piece of junk that if you maintain it on a regular basis and then they say too bad. You are basically out of luck. My wife was complaining constantly of a headache and sore throat whenever we went for a weekend. Now I know why. I have read all the posts on here about mold and mildew and am sure my unit has it. If the wind hadn't blown so hard it would have never pulled the awning out and we would have never known about this problem. Thank God it did! We could both be dead. The dealer, well, they said too bad. Out of warranty. Keystone, two letters later, too bad, out of warranty. GEICO said too bad. I turned it in twice. I have full coverage on the unit. Comprehensive should cover water damage folks! It is water damage and if you have full coverage on a unit it should cover it. Nope! GEICO said no. Now, I think I need to see an attorney. GEICO said it's a manufacturing defect. Isn't that what insurance is for???? Keystone is terrible. I have owned Layton, Prowler, and Hornet (my last 5th). I am seriously looking at Jayco!
JBeebeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote