View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
In the end the only reliable indicator is weight. The pressure stays essestislly constant until the liquid is gone so a pressure gauge only warns you when you have about 10 seconds of propane are remaining, the tank temperature strips are iffy and only work if you are drawing propane out at a fast rate. A remote reading scale under each tank would be great of someone made such a device. Tanks with built in float level meters ( like very large tanks have ) would be great but no one makes them.

I suppose someone could design a strain gauge scale which fits under the tank, but it would be hideously expensive.

John
you can buy 5 and 7.5 gallon tanks with internal floats and a external level meter, (looks like a fuel gauge, uses a internal magnet on the float to move the gauge needle. Gauge slides onto a brass plug mounted on the tank that threads into the tank with a float attached to it) I have a 5 gallon one on my small toyhauler. You can also buy 5 7.5 and 10 gallon tanks with a internal float with a resistive element for use with readout panels. Sender is a standard value for use with any panel that supports LP readout level.

you can get tanks with these senders at almost any LPG supplier. My 5 gallon tank with float and level meter was about $15 more than an standard 5 gallon tank.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote