View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
Maxxis has manufacturing facilities all over the Far East and produces many types of tires. Maxxis ST tires are made in the Thailand facility. I agree that it is possible to make a good ST tire in China but unfortunately all of those makers using Chinese facilities have chosen to not ensure they are made in a manner that is required to be dependable. My OEM Chinese made "Duro" tires self destructed in 18 months. My Maxxis ST 8008 radials have served me without issue for 5+ years. Anecdotal evidence? Yes it is but it is my experience nonetheless.

Fla-Gypsy -

When you say that "all of those makers using Chinese facilities have chosen to not ensure they are made in a manner that is required to be dependable", what evidence do you have that this is, in fact, correct? What you seem to be saying is that any tire made in a Chinese facility is not dependable. How then, do these tires get approval from the DOT and placed on probably thousands of RV's if they are not dependable and fail to meet minimum safety requirements?

Perhaps your OEM Duro tires were amongst those who had sat in the warehouse for "x" years and were already fairly "old" when they were mounted? I'm sure you maintained the correct pressure and didn't subject them to excess speed, high temperatures or other suspension or alignment issues that might have contributed to their early demise. Do you know why they broke down so quickly? Did all 4 tires self-destruct or just 1 and you decided to replace all 4?

I fully agree with you about Maxxis tires and have not been shown any documented proof or scientific research, other than anecdotes such as yours, why they stand up better than many other off-shore tires.

Until I see something that will convince me that the China Bomb label is authentic and deserving , I remain skeptical and tend to think that it is, to a large degree, a myth.