View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevandNorm View Post
We will soon be picking up our new Springdale with an electric awning. Can you put a tie down on it and can you hang party lights off it with the kind of canvas hangers and s hooks that feed into the traditional awning roller?
Unlike conventional awnings, there are no posts from the ends of the rollers to the ground. Tie downs are only effective on awnings with the posts. If you tied down the roller ends without posts, a gust of wind would still damage the arms as they are differently configured from what we all are used to.

The electric awning really needs to be rolled up if the wind kicks up. Same when you go away for the day.

If the adjustment knobs are loosened, the electric awning should self dump if there is any ponding in the rain. If they are tightened without setting the awning to rain position, you are pretty much guaranteed that the fabric will tear away.

The roller on ours has the traditional 3rd groove that will take the hangers for party lights.

Without the posts, the awning probably is not strong enough for hanging plants. I suspect that Patio-Rooms can not be hung off them either.

One final point. On our trailer, the awning is very high off the ground, even when fully extended and in its lowest position. I am 6'2" and can not reach the roller without my trusty little step ladder. So even though the extra slot is there, I suspect hanging party lights in the traditional way may become a thing of the past.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote