View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
smiller, The worst "white knuckle" experience I've had while towing RV's for the considerable time I've been behind the wheel was in a 3/4 ton superduty turbodiesel towing a 34' Holiday Rambler travel trailer. Trailer weight of 7600 lbs with a GVW of 10000 lbs. Properly set up weight distribution hitch, good tires, good sway control and excellent driving conditions on a new stretch of super highway at 65 MPH. A sudden gust of wind, a semi passing at the same time and I was all over the road, trying to control a trailer that desperately wanted to pass my truck. I got it stopped, quite shaken and not really wanting to drive any further. I've never experienced that kind of situation in a half ton truck. (I'm not suggesting it isn't possible, just that I've never experienced it)

So, to suggest that replacing a half ton truck with a 3/4 ton truck somehow will "improve quiet confidence while eliminating white knuckle driving" and decrease laboring engines is just not what I've found to be the situation. A "white knuckle" situation can --and does-- happen in 3/4 ton trucks, in fact, it probably happens regardless of the size of the truck being driven.
As for me I didn't take smiller's post anywhere close to what your saying here and not sure I get your point. I've had white knuckle experiences with just about anything I ever drove and my worst was with a VW Bug. When I moved from a 1/2 to a 3/4 ton however it wasn't a "constant", white knuckle experience when towing and in fact it was day and night even after numeruous upgrades to the 1/2. The only thing in my book that will eliminate the reving is a Diesel and that was a day/night difference as well. Happy trails
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote