View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
therink

Hi
I bought roll of putty tape and a tube of proflex even sealant. Removed the lower trim piece (several screws then carefully pried it off, not to bend it). Removed old putty tape from back of strip, what little there was. Cleaned up and removed old caulk from lower wall surfaces. Pried out lower wall and peeked up inside to make sure there wasn't any rot or water damage (luckily there wasn't as I caught it soon enough). Applied new putty tape to back of strip. I used putty tape that was wider than the strip.
Reinstalled strip. I dipped the screws into a dab of proflex before screwing in. Once the strip was secure and tight, I cut off excess putty tape along the strip edges, then applied a thin bead of proflex along strip edges.
When using proflex, you have to work fast and apply dish soap on your finger when smoothing it out. It sets up fast. Also have some rags and paint thinner handy to wipe up excess caulk.
While I had the caulk out, I went ahead and applied it to other slide wall strips where caulk looked insufficient. I will now be watching these slide walls like a hawk. From what I gave read, it doesn't take much water to ruin a slide out floor. In my opinion, the lack of an adequate drip edge that keeps water from flowing or wicking under the slide floor is a poor design. I guess you can say, I have now become a caulk nazi.
Good luck and let me know if any questions.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote