View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
Jim W

What you need to be concerned with are the allowable axle gross weights and the combined gross vehicle weight that is listed on the vehicle placard that is by the driver’s door post. This cannot be changed because these weights are established by the vehicle manufacture and is certified by them. I do not know what the newer Chevy have listed as their weights but I will provide my weights as an example.

The rear axle allowable weight is 6010 LBS; the front is 5200 LBS; these weights are the same for either a diesel or gas engine truck. Where the difference is the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight for the gas engine truck which is 17,000 LBS and for the diesel engine it is 20,000 LBS (this is for 4:10 axles on a 3/4 ton truck). The maximum allowable tow trailer weight is 10,400 LBS for the gas engine and the diesel engine is 12,450 LBS.

The reason for this difference is that the diesel engine will allow the load to be moved from a standing still start easier with less strain on the entire drive train, due to the torque a diesel will provide at lower engine RPM’s then a gas engine will develop. This is the main advantage of a diesel engine over the gas engine. Another area where a diesel engine will out performed a gas engine is various altitudes. As the elevation increase the diesel engine will not lose HP; until a certain elevation is reached such as 10,000 FT due to the TURBO charger which is condensing the air. Where as a gas engine that is natural aspirated will lose power because the air is not as dense at these elevations and the engine is starved for air and loses HP.

So in my opinion change the differential gearing will not allow a heavier tow load for your truck.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote