Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
hdrolling

Found the reason for my smelly toilet!

We bought our toy hauler in April of 2015 and have had it in the camping area since enjoying the summer.

Except for how bad the smell is after three days of using the bathroom with me the DW and my 5 year old son.

I tried everything and black tank flush once a week, still by the third day flushing the toilet would fill the entire camper with the smell.

Well after reading about possible birds or squirrels nesting in the vent pipe in the roof I climbed up to have a look.

Removed the cover and shined a flashlight in and there was a perfectly round piece of ply board stuck down in the hole completely blocking the vent.

I had to look real good to make sure there where not any side pipes attached somewhere that I might not have been able to see because the piece in there fit so perfectly it looked like it was suppose to be there.

Well I grabbed a long rod end gently pushed and I could hear the wood free itself and fall down in and echo while it was falling, was going to try to move it a little so I could get a coat hanger down in beside it and pry it up but it didn't take much to get it out.

Well time will tell, but so far not a whiff of foul smell when you flush.

Right after I removed the clog the tank smell started filling the air, I'm sure my fellow campers enjoyed it!

So I guess I got lucky, is this a common issue?

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:20 AM   #2
GaryWT

Interesting, had never heard that one before. Just watch out on the other end as that same piece of wood could block the drain now when you are dumping.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:48 AM   #3
hdrolling

It was about an inch, maybe a little more.

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 07-30-2015, 07:08 AM   #4
JoePK

Plug

I had a plastic circle plug partially blocking my blank tank dump. I had to keep opening and closing the valve, then saw it go through my clear elbow extension. I think they just leave things when they're drilling out the plumbing. Not cool they left a wood one in your vent pipe!
Old 07-30-2015, 07:15 AM   #5
cw3jason

I saw the exact same problem in a Crossroads thread. I wonder if that person was fired from Crossroads and got a job at Keystone

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:52 AM   #6
cw3jason

From the Crossroads forum
http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ad.php?p=97514

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:57 AM   #7
hdrolling

Wow, that's the exact same thing as what I had. My first thought was that someone intentionally did it as well since the wood was the exact same diameter as the inside of the vent pipe.

Disgruntled employee or a Joker.

Now I have to wonder if that's why the last owner sold it to me so cheap, because he couldn't find the issue with the smell?

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 07-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #8
Tom N OH

Mennonite terrorists?
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:37 AM   #9
jsmith948

Empty sealant tubes in the underbelly, misc. cable/pipe clamps, construction debris & sawdust, probably enough stripped-off wire insulation to fill a 1lb. coffee can - just some of the items we got free with our 5er. I don't know if it is disgruntled, lazy employees or if it is a cost reduction method in that the mfr. doesn't have to pay to dispose of the junk. Our FW tank had what appeared to be drill shavings from when the tank fittings were installed. Took awhile but we probably have most of it cleaned out. Luckily, haven't found any plastic or wooden 'discs' left in the waste tanks....YET! On a positive note, we did find some unused wire ties and the cable supports/clamps have come in handy

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote