Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Robertsr

Carrying bikes on the Passport 195RB

I just got a 2010 Passport 195RB and would like to know if the bumper of this trailer is strong enough to carry 2 bikes. I bought a Cyclehiker platform bike carrier at General RV Center for $94; it warns not to install on "non-steel bumpers such as aluminum or steel bumpers with decorative bumper covers".
Should I install it and go ahead? Should I reinforce the bumper? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
Flyguy

I would think that the steel bumper is plenty strong and I've seen lots of RV'ers mount to it, many have the spare tire mount attached to it, I can't do that with my 2008 because the bumper was manufactured flush with the rear wall but Keystone changed that in 2009.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
1Soxnut

I have a spare tire carrier for mine. It worked well until the weight of the bikes (2 adult bikes) broke the mounts. I had them wleded and have yet to try it out this year. Will know in about a week if that made it stronger.

2008 Toyota Tundra
2008 Keystone VR1 32BHS
1Soxnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
tnd2

After following a TT with 3 bikes on a clamp on receiver mount attached to the rear bumper I decided i'd weld up my own. The bikes were flopping all over the place, and had damaged the rear surface of the TT.
Im not sure if mounting the bike rack to one side closer to the bumper supports will help with the rotational flex of the bumper.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:12 AM   #5
leighann273

We have a 2011 laredo 291Tg and we have a three place bike carrier the we have attached to our bumper. Through camping world, my husband bought a plate system that he bolted on. You will get movement so it should be understood that you should try to prevent any damage the bikes could cause. We solves this by using ratcheting straps placed on either side of the main arms of the bike carrier and it attaches to the bumper on the other end as well and prevents any movement of the bikes up and down. You can also bungee the tires together of all the bikes. Ours never move. Hope this helps

2011 Laredo 291TG
2010 Ram Crew Cab Hemi 3:92
leighann273 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike carrying, bike rack, bumper strength