Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2024, 10:49 AM   #1
Craig G

Another Furnace Post

Any help will be greatly appreciated. We purchased a 2013 Keystone Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring 2890RL. And upon performing a shakedown of all features I noticed than when running the furnace, I still have cold air blowing out of the ceiling ducts! Is this normal?

The only options on the thermostat are Fan, Cool and Furnace. Then On/Off Mode and +/-

Is there some setting I'm missing or something I'm not doing right?

Thank y'all, Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240318_144705.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	46428  
Craig G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 10:59 AM   #2
dutchmensport

Your furnace will blow heat out the floor ducts, not from the ceiling. The AC unit on the roof of your camper will blow fan only, or AC with fan. If your roof AC has a built in "heat pump" then it will blow warm air from the ceiling. But only if it has the heat pump.

If your ceiling AC fan is running, then turn off the furnace / AC completely. Wait for all the lights to go out. Then begin cycling through the thermostat options.

Select "Fan" and make sure "Fan" is in the "Auto" position. If it is set on "High" or "Low" it will run all the time and never shut off. If you are on AC, the fan will run constantly, but the compressor will cycle on and off.

If you are in "auto" the fan will turn on and off as the compressor cycles.

However, if you have "fan" on high or low, it's possible the AC fan is running but not blowing any AC even when the furnace (which is down below and ducts under your floor, not in the ceiling), will blow all the time too.

If your furnace (below) is not firing on, there could be multiple things going on that are preventing it from kicking on. Start with that thermostat and make sure the "fan" is in the "auto" position, then second, ... make sure your propane tanks are filled and turned on.

Check that out first. See what happens. If that does not, there's more to check.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:26 AM   #3
Craig G

Thank you very very much! I thought I was going to freak out, due to not finding anything in the manual about this. Our first trip in this "new to us" camper is next week, so im trying to work out as many bugs as I can.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:39 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Put the control to FAN and then using the up/down buttons choose the AUTO function and your AC fan won’t come on while operating the furnace.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:07 PM   #5
Craig G

Thank you as well Sir! That did the trick. It's definitely a lot quieter too! I can't believe it was mid 70's last week and now low 30's now! I'll tell anyone....... Ohio is Female!
Old 03-18-2024, 01:42 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If you don't have the Dometic LCD Single Stage Thermostat manual, you can download it here: https://www.forestriverinc.com/broch...eticManual.pdf

On Page 9 is "furnace operation" and describes the Auto/Hi/Lo fan function when in "heat mode" and how the air conditioner fan works to help distribute warm air in conjunction with the furnace...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:54 PM   #7
Craig G

Thank you very much, I have a packet for about everything else onboard, but not that. On a side note...... Can you explain why when I try and light my forward burner on my stove, it ignites under the the metal range top? The back two burners work fine.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:12 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

You probably have a "burner manifold seal that's leaking"

First, remove the grates from the stovetop, then use your hand to push the rangetop back toward the wall, once it's all the way back against the spring retainers, lift up on the front of the rangetop and it will separate from the stove. You may have to unplug the ignition wires if your stove has the piezo-electric sparker option.

Then you'll be able to see the main gas tube along the front of the stove (near the control knobs). Behind each control knob you'll see a tube that goes to the corresponding burner. There is a gasket or seal where the burner tube enters the burner and that's where your leak is probably occurring. The leak could be from the gasket, from a bent/damaged hole in the burner where the tube goes in or it could be from a damaged or corroded burner. Any gas leak in that area is a major concern for fire safety.

I haven't replaced that gasket, so I can't tell you whether you can buy them at a RV parts store or not. Armed with the stove part number and serial number (on the id tag under the rangetop or possibly inside the oven door) you can order a new burner/tube assembly at most RV parts stores. I would not use that burner or turn the valve/knob for that burner to on with it leaking. Gas could collect under the rangetop and could cause an explosion.

If you're not comfortable working with LP gas, I'd leave that job to someone with the experience to do it safely.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:19 PM   #9
Craig G

OK thank you, I'll call the nearest Keystone dealer tomorrow, they should either have the parts or can direct me to a repairman.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:44 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig G View Post
OK thank you, I'll call the nearest Keystone dealer tomorrow, they should either have the parts or can direct me to a repairman.
It doesn’t have to be a keystone dealer. Any RV repair facility can give you the information you need if you have brand/ model number of the stove. The same stove is used in a lot of different brands of RV’s.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:38 PM   #11
Craig G

Awesome. JRTJH was exactly right..... when I lifted the range top, the "burner bushing" on the front burner was melted.

Tags
furnace