Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
iamrwnut

Duracell Marine Battery

Has anyone bought one of these? I need a new battery for my TT and Sams Club has a Group 29 Duracell battery with 105 AH at 1 amp for $85. I did a little research and came across the following on "Cruisers Forum", a boating forum:

"The Duracell deep cycle battery at Sam's, labeled as a group 29, is really a Deka/East Penn DC 31. This is the same exact battery they sell at West Marine as the Deep Cycle 105 for more than double the price @219.99. The only difference between the WM, NAPA & Sam's Deka deep cycle batts is the pricing and the sticker. "

Looking for help on whether these are a good option for a TT in which the longest rustic stay is 3 days and a generator is available.

Any help is appreciated.

Rob, Sheryl and Bear (border collie/basset hound)
2008 Laredo 311RL TT
2004 Silverado 2500 6.0L 2wd
US Navy 1982-1995
Homebrewer
BBQ fanatic
iamrwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
campingcpl

I too have been looking at these batteries because of their price but have been more interested in the 6v golf cart batteries they have. When I did my research I too found out that they are made by the same company that makes the Deka brand batteries. The reviews have been pretty good on these brands of batteries. I have used the Deka brand batteries for several years in my cars and in my truck and have been happy with the performance I have gotten from them. I have compaired the spec's of the Deka batteries I have in my truck to the Duracell brand battery and they are exactly the same. The only differance is I paid almost $150.00 a battery for the Deka and the Duracell was right around $85.00 a battery. From what I have found and from what I have experienced with the Deka brand of batteries, personally I don't think you could go wrong with the Sam's Club batteries, specially at their price point. I have used other brands of batteries from cheap to high dollar and have personally found that most batteries will work but it all depends on how you maintain them and how you use them. And of course you wont get the performance in a $65.00 battery compaired to a $165.00 battery (lower reserve times and amp hours). But a $65.00 can last as long as a $165.00 battery if it is well maintained and not abused. I hope this helps and of course is again just my personal opinion.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
apr67

Keep in mind that the Chevy Spark and Cadillac CTS-V are made by the same company..

apr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
iamrwnut

"Keep in mind that the Chevy Spark and Cadillac CTS-V are made by the same company.."

True, but they do not have the same specs.

Rob, Sheryl and Bear (border collie/basset hound)
2008 Laredo 311RL TT
2004 Silverado 2500 6.0L 2wd
US Navy 1982-1995
Homebrewer
BBQ fanatic
iamrwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The GM batteries subcontracted to Deka don't have the same specs as the Duralast batteries. I'm pretty sure that the Duralast batteries aren't built to the same standards as the Deka Intimidator and Dominator line of batteries either. Almost all manufacturers produce products for other lines. Deka is the subcontractor for Duralast as well as a host of other brand names. Each of the brands stipulate what specifications are to be used in their batteries.

There is no way a Duralast battery that sells for $68 has the same case thickness, plate thickness, plate composition, Plate spacing and internal grid pattern to hold the plates in suspension. I won't say it's an "inferior" battery, but it isn't built to the same standards as the Deka.

If that were true, then Deka would go broke never selling any of their batteries that cost upwards of $200.

There is some "value" in buying inexpensive batteries and for many applications they are "perfect" for the job. However, don't think that you're getting a "steal" and buying a Deka Dominator when you pick up the same physical size battery with a Duralast label on it at Sam's for $68.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Bushman512000

Sam's Battery

I bought 2 and there ok in My book run the furnace all night in Dec. going south .I did check the water in Feb. added a few drops to all the cells but not a big deal and Yes they are made by Deka .I think they are well worth the money spent. Just My 2cents Bushman I have them tied as one battery for more amp hours.
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote