Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2023, 06:18 AM   #1
fshrmn43

Keystone Sprinter water issues

I have a 2011 Keystone Sprinter 297RET...my question is...is there a water filter somewhere within the camper or not...I have lost most of my pressure. I have plenty of pressure to the camper as Im hooked to city water. I have removed the strainers at the ends of my faucets to no avail...any help would be much appreciated...thanks in advance
fshrmn43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 07:02 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't know of any Keystone "mid-level line of trailers" that comes from the factory with an OEM water filter. That said, you listed your trailer is a 2011 Sprinter, so unless you are the original owner, chances are very, VERY good that a previous owner may have installed a filter and "only heaven knows" where he may have installed it.

Now that said, you stated that you've removed the aerators on the faucets and cleaned them. Have you also removed the screen/washer in the city water inlet fitting? It may be coated with debris and causing your problem....

Also, depending on the water quality where you have used city water, you may have debris in the water lines that have accumulated at the faucet valve body. Occasionally, people will find "plastic drill shards" trapped in the inlet of the faucet valve bodies. Those shards are from the holes drilled in the fresh water tank when it's installed. They eventuallly get sucked up into the water pump and if they manage to make it through the pump diaphragm, they often pile up on the inlet side of the faucets and can slow water flow.

I'd first check that inlet screen on the city water fitting where you attach the hose. That may be your problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 08:30 AM   #3
fshrmn43

There is no screen that I can see in the city water outlet and thanks for nthe response
Old 12-18-2023, 12:34 PM   #4
bobbecky

It's possible that the check valve that is part of the city water inlet is stuck closed.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 03:08 PM   #5
fshrmn43

No...as we are on a private well and the rv has its own pressure tank with plenty of pressure to the rv
Old 12-18-2023, 05:44 PM   #6
bobbecky

What pressure tank are you talking about? The water enters the rig directly into the plumbing system with no pressure tank in the plumbing. There is a separate fresh water storage tank that is not under any pressure that supplies water through the water pump.
Old 12-18-2023, 08:35 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
What pressure tank are you talking about? The water enters the rig directly into the plumbing system with no pressure tank in the plumbing. There is a separate fresh water storage tank that is not under any pressure that supplies water through the water pump.
Folks on a well have a pressure than where the water pressure coming out of the tank can be adjusted. Well to pressure tank to RV. Our pressure is set at 45 PSI as I recall. I don't think the OP understands what you mean by a check valve. This valve is a spring loaded plunger in the middle of the fresh water intake on the camper. If it doesn't retract under pressure, water from the hose going into your fresh water inlet will not go in.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 09:34 PM   #8
bobbecky

I know a well has a pressure tank, but he said the RV has a pressure tank, which didn't make any sense. I've run into several people that have had a stuck inlet check valve. Sometimes, just a screwdriver can jiggle the valve loose.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:43 AM   #9
dutchmensport

Behind the city water hose connection, behind that screen, is a check valve. It's a little button right in the very middle. Push that button with your finger. Remove that screen if it's there. See if that button moves freely. If it does not, then it's stuck.

Click here for a picture of what we're talking about.

The water pressure coming into the trailer has to be high enough to force that little spring loaded check valve to open and allow water to flow. If the incoming pressure is not high enough, water will not flow because there is not enough pressure to push that valve open.

About pressure tanks.

We are on our own well too. There is a pressure tank under our house (a big blue thing). It has a bladder inside it filled with air under pressure. On the opposite end water fills the tank until the pressure equalizes (to whatever the pressure is set.) When that happens, the water pump turns off.

When you turn a faucet on inside the house, the water will start flowing. The pressure tank will deplete the pressure, allowing the water to flow for some time before the water pump turns on again to build up pressure. If you do not have this pressure tank, the pump would be clicking on and off instantly as there is no room for pressure to build in pipes only.

Now, some people install smaller versions of these inside their RV. They can be as small as 2 gallons to 5 gallons, or as big as they can go to fit available space inside their camper. The purpose is exactly the same as in a house. It's to keep the water pump in the camper from cycling on and off so fast.

If you have a pressure tank in the camper AND in the house for the water source, then that could account for highs and lows in water pressure as you run water. But, if it's blocked and no water is running, then more than likely, it's that valve where the garden hose connects.

One thing you can do is put water in your fresh water tank. Turn off city water (disconnect the garden hose). Now turn on your water pump. Your water is now pumping from the fresh water tank and will not go through that check-valve. If the water flows steady with the water pump running, then you know the source of the problem is upstream of the water pump .... namely, the city water connection (garden hose connection).

That is the easiest way to determine if something inside the trailer is blocking any plumbing behind the flow of the water pump. Again, if water flows freely with the water pump, then the problem has to be that garden hose connection valve.
Old 12-20-2023, 05:13 AM   #10
fshrmn43

Thanks for the replies....this camper is being lived in by my stepson we set it up with its own pressure tank under the rv which is connected to a private well...

Tags
keystone, sprinter, water