Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2024, 09:04 AM   #1
JeffJohnston

Front mount of A-Frame bike rack

Hello all

Just planning on getting my setup together before camping season is here. I am looking for a bike rack to take our 2 E-Bikes (51lbs each) camping with us. I have a bed cover on the back of my TV (2015 F150) that we'd prefer to leave on whenever possible so the bikes can't go back there. After reading these forums, mounting a rack on the back bumper of our TT is out of the question so that leaves me with 2 options (that I see).

1) Mount a Curt or Reese receiver to the front of my truck and just get a bike rack rated for ebikes. I've looked at the hitches and they gon't look too hard to install. Pros - after the hitch is mounted, I can store the rack easily and attach it to the truck in a matter of seconds. Lower to the ground so eay to lift the bikes. Adds weight to the front tires and not added to the tongue weight of the trailer. Cons - Can't cover the bikes while traveling (block too much airflow to the radiator). Bikes take the brunt of road debris (these are new ebikes we got for Christmas and GF loves to keep her things looking new)

2) Get an a-frame bike rack that mounts to the front of the trailer. From the research I've done, I like the Avrika system, but that's just preliminary. Pros - Once mounted it doesn't need to come off. Bikes are behind the truck therefor protected. Mounted in an area that shouldn't effect gas milage too much. Able to cover the bikes if desired. Cons - Difficult to lift the biks up over the battery/propane, etc. Puts 150 additional LBs on the tongue weight. - ths is what I'm thinking here - https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Arvik...t-p/7002AF.htm

What have others done WRT taking their bikes camping? Any thoguhts on which is the better way to go? Thanks!!!
Old 02-01-2024, 11:40 AM   #2
Don77

What about a rack that goes over your bed cover?
Just my 2c.

Don
Old 02-01-2024, 11:46 AM   #3
JeffJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don77 View Post
What about a rack that goes over your bed cover?
Just my 2c.

Don
I thought about that, but due to the aftermarket cover I have the only way to do that would be for a system that would need to be screwed to the top rails of my bed. I don't mind mounting and cutting to a degree, but I'd rather not do that. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2024, 04:36 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Are you "dead set" on mounting the bikes outside? If not, have you considered either a commercial rack or a modified rack mounted to the underside of the dinette table? You'd need to mount it, put the table in the "bed position", flip the table, secure the bikes to the rack and retract the slide.

Once at your destination, extend the slide, remove the bikes and flip the table again.

A drawback for this arrangement is that you wouldn't have a rack for the truck once you're camped and want to explore away from the campground, on the other hand, you can park the rig at McD's and not worry that your bikes will "take a trip without you"....

I've read accounts of people with bikes or generators or lawn furniture mounted to the rear bumper of their trailer, stop at a traffic light and realize that their bikes or generator are being "liberated in that minute or less"......

There's "good and bad" in any choice, but possibly transporting them inside the trailer might be worth considering ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, mount, rack