Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2024, 05:54 AM   #1
jasin1

Leaf spring life span

I have a covered cargo trailer that i bought many years ago.I broke a leaf spring the other day when it was unevenly loaded and had to purchase replacement springs. It got me to thinking about my fifth wheel and how often the springs should be replaced.

I have a 3500 dexter axle on my cargo trailer and i was amazed at how cheap it was to replace the whole spring setup….I called dexter and found out i could substitute 2000lb springs for the 1750lb oem which gave me a little extra cushion…i also ordered new shackles, a new u bolt kit and new shackle and spring eye bolts from etrailer and everything came in for under $175…took about a half hour per side to change.

i have 5200 lb axles on my 315 rls and i’m wondering if i could go up a little in spring capacity and if not i may still replace my springs at the five year mark and will keep one of the springs and bolts as a replacement for when im on the road…should be able to replace all four springs and hard ware for $400 or less….seeing how the trailers manufacturers go by the lowest spec for components im thinking it is probably a good idea.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:01 AM   #2
Martian

I change the springs when I change trailers. I change the springs in my truck the same way. Never thought of springs as a maintenance item, just a repair item when they go soft or break.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 05:19 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I change the springs when I change trailers. I change the springs in my truck the same way. Never thought of springs as a maintenance item, just a repair item when they go soft or break.
I see your point and i agree with springs on a truck but it is widely known that the axles and springs on most trailers are the bare minimum from the factory and if you inadvertently overload the trailer or just load it unevenly you could put a lot of stress on the springs…Some manufacturers give you an option of upsizing the axle capacity for extra money when ordering so even they must agree that they are originally marginal at best….and the springs are setup by lippert with the trailer presumably evenly loaded when a lot of trailers are unevenly loaded from the factory…my kitchen slide,stove and fridge are on the same wall as my bed,tv entertainment center and bathroom…seems a little lopsided and wonder what it looks like when i go over a bump from behind on that side of the trailer….i broke my cargo trailer spring from having a heavy item on the back right of my trailer the other day and going over a speed bump i believe.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:00 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

When I bought my current Cougar (GVWR 10K) it had Lippert 5200 pound axles derated to 4400 pounds with 2200 pound 4 leaf springs. The pin weight (on the sticker) is 1200 pounds, so the springs/axles are "0% margin"...

I had a hub self destruct several years ago and wanted to upgrade both axles to either 5200 pounds or 6000 pounds. This was "at the start of COVID" and the supply chain at Keystone was limited as well as their "customer support section" was reluctant to ship the dealer "larger axles than what was on the weight certification label"....

So, I elected to have Dexter custom build a set of 6000 pound axles with the correct hanger/hub face measurements. They have 3000 pound spring sets, 5 leaf springs. So, even from Dexter, springs "pretty much match axle rating with ZERO margin".

Anyway, my trailer now has a GVWR of 10K with 12K of axles and upgraded springs under it with ZERO need to consider pin weight to get the axle capacity.

I agree with you, having no margin of safety IMO, has to have some influence on reliability, and that's why I believe my hub failed on the 4400 pound axle. Since upgrading to gain almost a 20% excess axle capacity, I feel much better and know that I'm no longer "running on the bare minimums"....

As for "time change of springs" ??? I wouldn't consider it with multileaf springs, however the mono-leaf extended wheelbase springs, IMO, are something to watch closely. All the spring failures I've seen on trailers newer than about 10 years old, have been the "long single leaf type". No doubt, there's multileaf spring failures, but all that I've seen have been "older than 10 years and operated at/over spring rating. In other words, on trailers that have been overloaded consistently.

IMO, "consistent overload" is very likely on any travel trailer with "minimum axle/spring size and either a heavy refrigerator or a large slide over that axle side. Having both, a heavy refrigerator installed in a large slide, IMO, is a recipe for spring/axle failure and a great excuse to be pro-active and upgrade to heavier axles.... As always, my opinion and others may have different views.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:21 AM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When I bought my current Cougar (GVWR 10K) it had Lippert 5200 pound axles derated to 4400 pounds with 2200 pound 4 leaf springs. The pin weight (on the sticker) is 1200 pounds, so the springs/axles are "0% margin"...

I had a hub self destruct several years ago and wanted to upgrade both axles to either 5200 pounds or 6000 pounds. This was "at the start of COVID" and the supply chain at Keystone was limited as well as their "customer support section" was reluctant to ship the dealer "larger axles than what was on the weight certification label"....

So, I elected to have Dexter custom build a set of 6000 pound axles with the correct hanger/hub face measurements. They have 3000 pound spring sets, 5 leaf springs. So, even from Dexter, springs "pretty much match axle rating with ZERO margin".

Anyway, my trailer now has a GVWR of 10K with 12K of axles and upgraded springs under it with ZERO need to consider pin weight to get the axle capacity.

I agree with you, having no margin of safety IMO, has to have some influence on reliability, and that's why I believe my hub failed on the 4400 pound axle. Since upgrading to gain almost a 20% excess axle capacity, I feel much better and know that I'm no longer "running on the bare minimums"....

As for "time change of springs" ??? I wouldn't consider it with multileaf springs, however the mono-leaf extended wheelbase springs, IMO, are something to watch closely. All the spring failures I've seen on trailers newer than about 10 years old, have been the "long single leaf type". No doubt, there's multileaf spring failures, but all that I've seen have been "older than 10 years and operated at/over spring rating. In other words, on trailers that have been overloaded consistently.

IMO, "consistent overload" is very likely on any travel trailer with "minimum axle/spring size and either a heavy refrigerator or a large slide over that axle side. Having both, a heavy refrigerator installed in a large slide, IMO, is a recipe for spring/axle failure and a great excuse to be pro-active and upgrade to heavier axles.... As always, my opinion and others may have different views.
Thanks for the reply John, I think I’m going to look at axle upgrades in the very near future.The more I look at my fifth wheel I think I may end up keeping it for quite awhile. New rigs are tempting but I have to admit we really like this Rv and it’s been mostly problem free. All the reasons I have for purchasing a new one will just result in spending much more money and I don’t know if that will make us that much happier….have to be thankful for what I have as long as it’s working for us at this stage in our lives
Old 03-22-2024, 09:41 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Thanks for the reply John, I think I’m going to look at axle upgrades in the very near future.The more I look at my fifth wheel I think I may end up keeping it for quite awhile. New rigs are tempting but I have to admit we really like this Rv and it’s been mostly problem free. All the reasons I have for purchasing a new one will just result in spending much more money and I don’t know if that will make us that much happier….have to be thankful for what I have as long as it’s working for us at this stage in our lives
It's the same with me/us. Our Cougar has been "long paid for" and since it's ours, I really don't feel the need to risk buying a new one in today's economy with the dim future that's predicted. We've fixed all the little things that we didn't like, I've upgraded everything that needed upgrading and, for now, it meets all our needs without the uncertainty that a new one, with it's unknown condition would add to the mix.

So, since it's ours and is working properly, there's little motivation to change from "one in the hand to one in the bush"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-22-2024, 02:39 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

If you intend to keep the trailer for quite a while I would (I did) invest in heavier axles/springs/shackles/wet bolts etc. The 315RLS is a nice trailer and I would have had one except DW changed her mind on a washer/dryer.

As you know the suspensions on these things are the barest of bare minimums to get by. That, in my mind, puts a person in a box waiting for some sort of suspension failure. Your trailer has a gvw somewhere in the range of 12,400 with enough axle/springs for 10,400....that is skimping IMO. They make it mandatory that the pin is fully loaded and carried on the truck plus all those whoopdedoos, potholes etc. a person hits just drives that suspension far beyond its capabilities because they configured it so light. My trailer was in the same boat and I was never comfortable. Pulling a 3-4k trailer is one thing but once over 10k I want things to be a bit more robust. I went from 6k axles to 7k - I wanted the axles to at least support the gvwr of the trailer. Mine is a little short but close and 8ks would have been overkill.

As far as putting heavier springs on the existing axles, I wouldn't. Just moves the weakest point but doesn't fix it. Barring something out of the blue this is our last trailer. If you sort of feel that way investing in a better suspension is money well spent IMO (might look into disc brakes too - awesome).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 03:03 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If you intend to keep the trailer for quite a while I would (I did) invest in heavier axles/springs/shackles/wet bolts etc. The 315RLS is a nice trailer and I would have had one except DW changed her mind on a washer/dryer.

As you know the suspensions on these things are the barest of bare minimums to get by. That, in my mind, puts a person in a box waiting for some sort of suspension failure. Your trailer has a gvw somewhere in the range of 12,400 with enough axle/springs for 10,400....that is skimping IMO. They make it mandatory that the pin is fully loaded and carried on the truck plus all those whoopdedoos, potholes etc. a person hits just drives that suspension far beyond its capabilities because they configured it so light. My trailer was in the same boat and I was never comfortable. Pulling a 3-4k trailer is one thing but once over 10k I want things to be a bit more robust. I went from 6k axles to 7k - I wanted the axles to at least support the gvwr of the trailer. Mine is a little short but close and 8ks would have been overkill.

As far as putting heavier springs on the existing axles, I wouldn't. Just moves the weakest point but doesn't fix it. Barring something out of the blue this is our last trailer. If you sort of feel that way investing in a better suspension is money well spent IMO (might look into disc brakes too - awesome).

I remember when you had the post about your disk brake upgrade…yep i’m gonna look into my options. thanks
Old 03-22-2024, 03:31 PM   #9
GlasNav

Quote:

I remember when you had the post about your disk brake upgrade…yep i’m gonna look into my options. thanks
While you are at it, would you also consider ABS anti loc brakes?

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:25 PM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
While you are at it, would you also consider ABS anti loc brakes?
i don’t think so…i want to keep it simple for now but im sure its a nice upgrade
Old 03-23-2024, 05:19 AM   #11
Martian

Keystone has possibly stopped derating axles. Our 2020 cougar 22RBS has axles labeled as 4400 pounds with four leaves in the springs. That is 8800 pounds of springs for a 7200 pound trailer. Things must have changed just prior to Covid. Our build date is 10/19.

Old 03-23-2024, 11:25 AM   #12
Hblick48

I had 2 different leaf springs break at different times. Both times we were lucky and founa shops to replace them. The rig was 15 years old at the time.

Getting home after the second incident, I decided to investigate. The axle tag said they were rated at 6,000 pounds. The original (and replaced) springs were rated at 2,500 pounds each (from the factory). Also, I was experiencing severe inside wear on all 4 tires.

I replaced all springs to 3,000 pound rating. Put on a new set of tires, and haven't had a problem since (rig is 22 years old now). I have replaced tires once since then.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 11:39 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Keystone has possibly stopped derating axles. Our 2020 cougar 22RBS has axles labeled as 4400 pounds with four leaves in the springs. That is 8800 pounds of springs for a 7200 pound trailer. Things must have changed just prior to Covid. Our build date is 10/19.
Lippert does market a 4400 pound axle, but the part number for it starts with "52" indicating that it is a 5200 pound axle that they have derated. All of the bearings, races, hubs, brake and magnet assemblies for the Lippert 4400 pound axle are identical to the part numbers for the 5200 pound Lippert axle series...

So, yes, it's available, and likely is the "lowest bid item sold to the RV manufacturers" but it's (by part numbers of components) the 5200 pound Lippert axle series.

Look at the axle ID tag on the center beam on your axles, I'd suspect the part number starts with L52-xxxxxxxxx.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-23-2024, 03:12 PM   #14
Martian

Not Lippert, Dexter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1254.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	46462  

Old 03-28-2024, 07:15 AM   #15
PolarisCobra

Only leaf spring I ever broke was on a snowmobile trailer. It's s double axle trailer, so I was able to limp back home, had only gotten about a mile or so. The difference with the snowmobile trailer is that it is pretty much only used when the roads are salted, so thing get rusty.

The bushings on the end of the springs had rusted tight, and could not pivot anymore, I think that's why it broke. I replaced all four springs, bolts, axle hangers and load balancers. Greased everything, and get some oil in there as best as I can every season. The new ones have held up fine for 10 years.

2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
2018 Bullet 272 BHS
PolarisCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:49 AM   #16
jasin1

Also just found out that i had to change my hitch after replacing the springs….new springs lifted the rear of the trailer up and the front was low…guess my old springs were really sagging