Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
bedblue

Bullet Premier 1prBH: Bent Axel?

I am looking at the Bullet Premier 31 bhpr and it looks like a great ultra lite trailer. However, I found an interesting thread that;s making me second guess buying this trailer.

Anyone have any trouble with this?

KEYSTONE BULLET Power Train Axle Assembly

KEYSTONE BULLET 2011 Safety Review #10400550

KEYSTONE BULLET 2011 car safety problem was reported on June 30, 2010.KEYSTONE BULLET 2011, manufactured by KEYSTONE RV COMPANY had a problem with POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY . TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2011 KEYSTONE BULLET RV. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE AXLE WAS DEFECTIVE AND THE WEIGHT BEARING WAS DISTRIBUTED INCORRECTLY ON THE AXLE. THE AXLE WAS BENT AND THE WHEEL WAS ABNORMALLY TURNED AT A 45 DEGREE ANGLE. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER WHO CHANGED THE AXLE WHICH EXHIBITED THE SAME BEHAVIOR. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN BACK TO THE DEALER WHO REPLACED THE AXLE A SECOND TIME. THE MANUFACTURER WAS MADE AWARE OF THE FAILURE. THE CONTACT WAS CONCERNED WITH THE SAFETY OF THE VEHICLE. UPDATED 06/0611 *BF UPDATED 06/10/11 UPDATED 06/15/11 *BF UPDATED 06/24/11 .Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):4YDT31B25BD. KEYSTONE BULLET 2011 problem was reported in GENESEO, IL. Vehicle was not using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control.
bedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
The Sod Father

Where did you get this information? Just wondering.

I have the 31BHPR and have towed it over 3,000 miles so far. No problems other than the usual warranty crap and a leaky window. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the same trailer but from a different dealer.

What are you towing with? This is a really long trailer and will require an equally long wheelbase on your tow vehicle plus considerable sway control/elimination.

I hope this helps.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
jcgib81

I have a 2012 Premeir 31BHPR. I had it for last years season and everywhere I went people would tell me the rear axle looked "weird" from behind. Probably about 7 people. I noticed tire wear on the passsenger rear side. Front axle ok. I took it in to a GREAT service place here on Long Island and after 2 months of them fighting for me, Keystone sent a complete new rear axle, and 2 new tires. I have to give them credit. The axle was out of camber, a little more than 1/2 inch on one side.
I hope all is well with this new axle, but it looked ALOT different towing it home from the service place as I had the wife follow me.
By the way, I LOVE this trailer. Awesome amount of room, and tows great. I have a 2007 Suburban 1500 heavy tow package, air bags and equalizer hitch.2800 miles first season.
jcgib81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
AlCorr

I just picked up a 2012 Bullet 248RKS this year (March) and pulled it from Massachusetts to KeyWest, FL. and back with no problems, (3400 miles). I do not understand what the problem was with your unit, please explain. A lot of people drive behind you and your trailer looked strange going down the road. Then the Dealer said one axle was out of line 1/2 inch. I'm not saying your wrong, but how did these people see 1/2 inch? Dealer replaced it, that is a good thing, but I just don't understand. Was the recall for bent axels or axels out of alignment?

I pull my trailer with a Cummins diesel and I wouldn't know if the axel fell off. I'll have to let the wife drive it and I'll drive behind in her car.

P.S. I’m not saying your wrong or trying to start anything, just don’t understand.
AlCorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlCorr View Post
I just picked up a 2012 Bullet 248RKS this year (March) and pulled it from Massachusetts to KeyWest, FL. and back with no problems, (3400 miles). I do not understand what the problem was with your unit, please explain. A lot of people drive behind you and your trailer looked strange going down the road. Then the Dealer said one axle was out of line 1/2 inch. I'm not saying your wrong, but how did these people see 1/2 inch? Dealer replaced it, that is a good thing, but I just don't understand. Was the recall for bent axels or axels out of alignment?

I pull my trailer with a Cummins diesel and I wouldn't know if the axel fell off. I'll have to let the wife drive it and I'll drive behind in her car.

P.S. I’m not saying your wrong or trying to start anything, just don’t understand.
From New Beige to Key West, that was a long trip!

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
AlCorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrc75 View Post
From New Beige to Key West, that was a long trip!
Did you tow your Bullet on that trip? About, how many miles?
New Bedford, MA
https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...R/IMG_1198.jpg
Old 06-01-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlCorr View Post
Did you tow your Bullet on that trip? About, how many miles?
No, just commenting. Furthest I have been with it was northern VT. Sounds like a great trip though.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
AlCorr

Yes, it's always a excellent trip, been doing it for 16-17 years now. Stay in the key's for 3 weeks.

Sorry, didn't mean to steel your tread on bent axles.
New Bedford, MA
Old 06-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Yes - a good idea to try to keep the thread focused on the OP's topic - bent axles.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:35 AM   #10
jcgib81

To reply to the topic. When I would stop at a dump station, or to check in or out some senior, or seasoned campers I would call them would say that the rear axle looked weird. If an axle is 1/2 inch out of camber at the axle plate, that becomes noticeable when there is a 14 inch tire on it. I think what people were seeing also was the way the spread axles move when turning. Looks a little weird.
What I noticed was the tire wear that was pretty bad. When I took it to a local rv dealer/mechanic he noticed the rear axle right away by standing behind the unit.
Like I said, Keystone did the right thing and I am very happy so far. Leaving This Sunday for Pennsylvania, first trip with new axle. We will see I guess. I believe the replacement was for a bent axle.
jcgib81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
The Sod Father

Well, it looks like I may have jinxed the whole thing and could possibly have the same issue. On our last trip, I had a guy pull next to me (towing a boat) and was beeping his horn. I roll down the window and he said, "hey buddy - your rear tire looks like it's bent inward". I pull over and sure enough, it looks slightly out of wack.

I looked again at a fuel stop and sure enough, both tires on the rear axle seemed to be slightly out of camber. I dropped it off at my dealer and am waiting for a diagnosis. Stay tuned!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
Englishman

Just had the same thing with our bullet. We stop at the father inlaws house on the way pack from pa and he notice that the wheels look out of line. Took it into the dealer to have some other work done and had them check the axles and the rear axle was bent. Keystone is now replacing both of them. We should have the tt back next week I hope.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sod Father View Post
Well, it looks like I may have jinxed the whole thing and could possibly have the same issue. On our last trip, I had a guy pull next to me (towing a boat) and was beeping his horn. I roll down the window and he said, "hey buddy - your rear tire looks like it's bent inward". I pull over and sure enough, it looks slightly out of wack.

I looked again at a fuel stop and sure enough, both tires on the rear axle seemed to be slightly out of camber. I dropped it off at my dealer and am waiting for a diagnosis. Stay tuned!
Soddy, I think you need to update your signature....."Tracking slightly Off"

Adam & Lisa
Brandon 13
Matthew 9

'09 Nissan Armada LE
'11 Keystone Passport 300BH
Tekonsha Prodigy / Equalizer WDH / Mckesh Mirrors

By spreading the axles an additional 10" The extra wide stance equalizes weight & provides superior towability.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
The Sod Father

It still tracks straight - thank God. It just looks pigeon toed.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #15
Retiredsorta

Bullet Premier 1prBH: Bent Axel?

Well now you have me thinking. I have a 2011 Bullet 278RLS. I have noticed when I make turns I see the wheels looking out of "whack". It seems one looks pigeon towed and the other is straight. I didn't think much of it until I read this. I have towed the TT over 10K miles and have no unusual tire wear. I made a trip last Sept from Houston to Yellowstone, into Montana, across Wyoming to the Black Hills in SD. Total 5K miles. I checked the tires regularly with no problems. I just went outside and checked them again. No issues. I will pay more attention and see if anything changes. Thanks for the info.

2013 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax Diesel
2011 Bullet 278RLS
Retiredsorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredsorta View Post
Well now you have me thinking. I have a 2011 Bullet 278RLS. I have noticed when I make turns I see the wheels looking out of "whack". It seems one looks pigeon towed and the other is straight. I didn't think much of it until I read this. I have towed the TT over 10K miles and have no unusual tire wear. I made a trip last Sept from Houston to Yellowstone, into Montana, across Wyoming to the Black Hills in SD. Total 5K miles. I checked the tires regularly with no problems. I just went outside and checked them again. No issues. I will pay more attention and see if anything changes. Thanks for the info.
When you pull a heavy trailer through a turn, the rear axle wheels will not always remain perfectly vertical. There is some 'warping" that will occur as the rear axle gets dragged through the turn. The inside wheel will "warp" outward at the top and the outside wheel will "warp" inward at the top. This is normal and will correct itself when you're straight and move forward a couple of feet. If this is the "out of whack" you're referring to, it's normal on tandem axle trailers. Next time you're in a campground with hard surface roads/camping pads, watch your neighbor's axles as he backs into the campsite. You'll be amazed at just how much "bending and flexing" goes on with the axle during low speed tight turns. The tires slide on dirt or gravel, so you won't notice this hardly at all on soft surfaces.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #17
AlCorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When you pull a heavy trailer through a turn, the rear axle wheels will not always remain perfectly vertical. There is some 'warping" that will occur as the rear axle gets dragged through the turn. The inside wheel will "warp" outward at the top and the outside wheel will "warp" inward at the top. This is normal and will correct itself when you're straight and move forward a couple of feet. If this is the "out of whack" you're referring to, it's normal on tandem axle trailers. Next time you're in a campground with hard surface roads/camping pads, watch your neighbor's axles as he backs into the campsite. You'll be amazed at just how much "bending and flexing" goes on with the axle during low speed tight turns. The tires slide on dirt or gravel, so you won't notice this hardly at all on soft surfaces.
This is true and I've pulled other trailers & 5er's with tandem axles that are not made by Keystone without this extra wide space between the axles and they didn't get as much in and out warp on the wheelers as my Bullet does. Also, I was once told, (not sure if true) that after parking a trailer with tandem axles and making a turn ether pulling in or backing in, to pull forward and back a few times to straighten the axles or they would be damage.
New Bedford, MA
Old 08-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

The farther apart the axles are the greater the twisting motion you'll encounter. When the "wide spaced" axles first started appearing on trailers with the claim of "improved stability when towing" I wondered what the price was for that stability. I think the increased side torque on the rear axle is part of that price. It can't be good for the sidewalls on the tires and who's to say what it does to the wheels/bearings ????

While I've no data to support what you say about pulling forward in a straight line then backing into the spot again, it would seem reasonable that removing any side torque from the axles prior to parking wouldn't hurt and may well take some of the stress off the axle and wheel assembly. So, it's probably not a bad idea to pull forward and back before parking after a tight turn.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #19
SAABDOCTOR

Just to add my buck and a quater! if the axels were realy bent then you would notice some funky wear on the tread ans if you had tire pressure monitors with temprature you would also see a rise in tire temp! so as the last three have posted you most likely are ok.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
Just to add my buck and a quater! if the axels were realy bent then you would notice some funky wear on the tread ans if you had tire pressure monitors with temprature you would also see a rise in tire temp! so as the last three have posted you most likely are ok.
Totally agree !!!! SAABDOCTOR, that's another reason to have (and use) a laser digital thermometer. I got mine at Harbor Freight for $19. It may not be the most accurate around, but we're not talking "rocket science" with trailer tire temperatures either.... If an axle is bent, uneven wear and higher temps would probalby be the first indicator if you can't actually "see" the out of position wheel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
2011 premier 31bhpr