Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
srbays

120 Volt Outlet via Inverter?

Greetings,

Just returned from a wonderful two-week, 3000 mile vacation, and learned that I would like to have 120 volt/1500 Watts available when we break for lunch in the middle of the driving day so I could brew coffee or use the microwave. I could spring for a little generator but would really rather hard-wire an inverter into the system to make use of the three huge batteries that are available to make power (my F250 has two 650 AH batteries in addition to the Mountaineer's). Has anyone made such a mod?

Thanks,

Sam
srbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Paddler

I'm not going to break out the old slip stick so...1500Watts/12 Volts=125 Amps. The 12 volts provided by the tow vehicle are usually fused at 30 Amps...kiss that fuse goodby.

So that leaves you powering the inverter with the Mountaineer's battery. I guess, if you ran some pretty heavy gauge wire to the inverter from your trailer battery you could power the microwave, but I think a small gas generator would be the better option.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Johnnyfry

Inverter

This need not be a terribly big deal if you keep a few things in mind.

-A 1,500 watt inverter will pull roughly 120 amps under load so it must be mounted near the battery. You will also need to wire the DC side with large wire, probably 0 or 00. Don't forget to fuse the DC line with a 150 amp class T fuse.

-Run a 120 volt line to the kitchen area and mount a receptacle on the wall. I believe that this is better than attempting to cut it into the AC panel for any number of reasons.

- The truck batteries won't make much of a contribution to the load because they are wired into the trailer circuit through the trailer connector plug and are set up to deliver no more than about 30 amps through #10 wire in the harness.

- Most microwaves like nice clean sine wave AC power which means that you will need to buy a sine wave inverter ($$$$)

Taking those points into consideration the project is certainly feasible and can be useful for all sorts of uses when you are away from AC hook up.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
ktmracer

I have our recepticals routed through a transfer switch. Transfer switch input is either shore/generator power or inverter power. That way all the recepticals automatically have power from my 1000W sine wave inverter. With a 2000 watt inverter, the microwave circuit could also be on the transfer switch circuit feed. As is we can use the coffee pot, TV, hairdryer etc. on batteries when needed.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Johnnyfry

Inverter

KTMracer: You have a much more sophisticated, and versatile, set up. That is probably the way I would do it too. On the other hand, I am an electrical engineer, but Sam wanted a simple set up for a rather specific task--lunch convenience.

In looking over people's set ups I am really amazed at the level of sophistication some of them have.I really dream of a big (4kW+) inverter capable of running a 15kBTU A/C and all, backed up by a 150 amp 24V DC generator. That way the peak starting loads would be covered by the batteries so the genset would not have to be so big. Think about it, the 24 hour AVERAGE load is nowhere the peak load with A/C units, microwave,TV going at once. Having a battery set big enough to cover the peak loads which would be charged back up during low load periods. Actually, the public utilities have been playing this game for years with gas turbine peaking plants, pumped storage generators, etc.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
srbays

Gentlemen,

Thanks to you all for your valuable insights and the refresher on Ohms law. I was lulled into innocence by my 500W inverter which runs off 12 ga. wire...go figure.

Having pulled a little bit of 0 and 00 wire I'm not likely to pursue that option, but there might be another alternative. The F 250 came with a Pollak 11-850 single-point trailer connector on the bumper. This is a kit, wired with what looks like #4 wire and rated (according to the manufacturer) at 300 AMPs continuous (again, go figure!) If I can get the proper connector to a 1KW inverter I might be just able to manage on my tailgate.
srbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
christopherglenn

Don't plan to use the truck's batteries to run the inverter, unless it is on the truck. Put the inverter as close to the battery on the trailer as you can, use the inverter for seconds to minutes running the microwave. Let the truck recharge teh trailer @ 20 or 30 amps when you are running down the road. For what its worth a 1500 watt inverter will pull very close to 150 amps @ 12 volts, 75 amps @ 24 volts. There are losses (switching and thermal) in the inverter.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Fred_M

Inverter

Sam, I have the same issue. I don't like re-boiled coffee from a perculator.
I was at Camping World and found a 12volt coffee maker. It's called Roadpro.
It makes 16 ounces of brew in 15 minutes. The current consumption is about 13 amps. It seems to work OK. The power works out to 150 to 160 watts. It has a cigarette-lighter plug on the cable. It might be what you are looking for. - Fred.
Fred_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Another alternative for coffee is a Coleman camping drip coffeemaker. It's just like the ones we all use in the kitchen, but it sits on the stove burner and heats the water. Makes about 10 cups in 15 minutes tops. That might get your coffee without having to rewire the "world" LOL

I got my coleman at CW on clearance for $22 with the President's club discount.

If you didn't want to do that, you can always use your electric coffee maker and just pour hot water over the grounds, makes 3 or 4 cups in a couple of minutes and also saves the rewiring dilemma.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:46 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

I mounted a 1000 watt inverter on my storage compartment wall. Battery is less than 12" away on other side of wall. I use it to power a small compressor and have an extension cord (until I install an outlet) to our bedroom directly above. We use it for the bedroom tv and to make coffee while on the road we use an electric perk pot on the dresser. Very fast and more portable than the drip coffee maker. Only draw-back is having to go outside to turn it on and off. I suppose I could wire the switch to a remote switch in the bedroom but for the few times we use it it works for us.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
OTHG 00b

Smile Weekend improvements

Removed the factor 12 volt battery and installed 4 Interstate 6 volt cart batteries for an up grade of power. Then installed a 2000 watt inverter so things run quite at night. Next project will be putting in solar charging system to take care of the batteries. I guess owning a RV is a never ending job, I thought this was suppose to relaxing.
2007 Suzuki RMZ250F
OTHG 00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Cool Relaxing

It is relaxing ..... AFTER.........
You get all the mods and upgrades completed.....
You pay for all the mods and upgrades......
You do all the repairs and maintenance.....
You arrive at your campsite, get set up, sit down, relax and have.....
A COOL ONE
THEN YOU CAN RELAX.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #13
Txoutback

Cup of Joe

1001 way's to make a cup of coffee: I boil water and use a french press.
I think a small 1500W inverter tucked away like what Hank has would be the way to go. MW don't like MSW though.

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote