Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
SeaTac Larry

Voltage converter

I recently purchased a 2007 Montana Mountineer 5th wheel which we have parked on a leased lot. We have noticed that when the 12 volt lights are on that the lights dim for 1 to 3 seconds and then maybe dim again in 30 seconds and continues randomly. At the same time that the lights dim I can hear a fan noise. Do I have a problem? If so, what is the fix?
Thanks
SeaTac Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaTac Larry View Post
I recently purchased a 2007 Montana Mountineer 5th wheel which we have parked on a leased lot. We have noticed that when the 12 volt lights are on that the lights dim for 1 to 3 seconds and then maybe dim again in 30 seconds and continues randomly. At the same time that the lights dim I can hear a fan noise. Do I have a problem? If so, what is the fix?
Thanks
Sounds like the convertor is not working well. Normally, it functions as a battery charger, keeping them at full voltage.

But let's rule out other issues. Disconnect the shoreline from the campground's power pole and run just on the battery. How well do the lights work? Do they work at all? If they don't work, check to see if the fridge, water heater on propane, furnace, etc. also don't work. Either the battery is not there, or disconnected, or incapable of holding a charge. Sort that out first.

Once the battery questions are answered, time to look at the convertor. In theory, it should be able to power all of the 12vdc items on board. If there is a problem in it, you might see the symptoms that you are describing. The intermittent fan noise indicates that the convertor is running hot. It's likely got a sensor that determines how warm things are in there and kicks the fan on to try to cool it down. What you can do is find it, expose it, and clean it. There might be dust, debris, whatever blocking the air flow and preventing it from running properly. I'd suggest first making sure there's nothing blocking the air flow around the convertor. Then use a vacuum cleaner and clean well all around the outside. If there are air ports or fan openings, it won't hurt to blow them out well using the outflow of the vacuum cleaner. If the problem is an obstruction or dirt and dust, the results should be immediate and noticeable.

You should also inspect the outside of the convertor for loose wires while you are at it.

If none of this solves the problem, I am going to recommend that you get it to a service shop.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
SeaTac Larry

voltage converter

Thanks,
I will check out those items that you mentioned. Also, I am assuming that the converter is near the batteries or is it in another location.
Larry
Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Thanks,
I will check out those items that you mentioned. Also, I am assuming that the converter is near the batteries or is it in another location.
Larry
If you can hear the fan, follow your ears. It is likely behind a removable panel. Mine is accessed by pulling six screws and removing the back wall of the basement. Plenty of room to work on it.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
SeaTac Larry

Voltage converter "07" Mountineer

I have located the converter, however the 110 supply cord goes through the wall and I have been able to locate where it plugs into power. I am in the process of replacing the converter. Any help as to where the plug is located?
Thanks,
Larry
Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
I have located the converter, however the 110 supply cord goes through the wall and I have been able to locate where it plugs into power. I am in the process of replacing the converter. Any help as to where the plug is located?
Thanks,
Larry
If the wire is romex or similar residential style 110/220 solid wire, then it is almost certainly hardwired at both ends. In that case you open up the connector box on the convertor itself to disconnect the wire.

If it is stranded wire which is more flexible and has a more rubbery insulation like a high quality extension cord, then it is more likely to have a plug on the end. The hole in the wall should be big enough for the plug to pass through and the has to be a way to get to the outlet where it is plugged into.

My convertor is separate from the panel so it is hard wired with romex between the breaker and the convertor.

Tags
dimming lights, fan noise, voltage converter