Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
nfd421

lpg tank level sensor

Im looking for a dual propane tank remote sensor to hook up to my monitor panel so i dont have to go outside lift off the tank cover and look at the little bubble on the regulator to see my level.anyone know were i can purchase one?
nfd421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Me.Bikes.Dogs

There aren't many remote sensors out there and the ones I found all get pretty poor reviews. You'd have to use one for each tank. Google "GasWatch II" for the most popular one. Pretty much everyone says the remote part doesn't work worth a darn.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
cumminsdad08

at least you have bubbles, i have to unhook them and shake and make an educated guess. so far we kept the heat on and hot water hot. Good luck.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Me.Bikes.Dogs

I just unhook and hold a match up to them. KIDDING, KIDDING!!!!! Gawd, that is going to get me into trouble.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
ifishsum

The bubble on the top of a 2-stage regulator will only tell you when a tank is empty, not how much propane is left. There is a regulator with a wired sensor that will turn a light on inside the RV when your service tank goes dry, so you know when it has changed over to the reserve tank - here is an example for a Marshall regulator: https://www.makariosrv.com/products/...Cylinders.html

I'm not sure if there is a reliable way to read the gas level of vertical portable tanks from inside the RV - although I have seen it done with fixed/horizontal tanks.
ifishsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfd421 View Post
Im looking for a dual propane tank remote sensor to hook up to my monitor panel so i dont have to go outside lift off the tank cover and look at the little bubble on the regulator to see my level.anyone know were i can purchase one?
Marshall makes a sensor and monitor panel that fits their regulators. Includes a switch that pops into the top of the regulator where the red/green indicator is. Flashes a light inside the trailer on the monitor when the regulator switches from the main tank to the aux tank. Have one, works great, at least now I know when I've switched to the spare tank.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Johnnyfry

Propane level meter

In the end the only reliable indicator is weight. The pressure stays essestislly constant until the liquid is gone so a pressure gauge only warns you when you have about 10 seconds of propane are remaining, the tank temperature strips are iffy and only work if you are drawing propane out at a fast rate. A remote reading scale under each tank would be great of someone made such a device. Tanks with built in float level meters ( like very large tanks have ) would be great but no one makes them.

I suppose someone could design a strain gauge scale which fits under the tank, but it would be hideously expensive.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
In the end the only reliable indicator is weight. The pressure stays essestislly constant until the liquid is gone so a pressure gauge only warns you when you have about 10 seconds of propane are remaining, the tank temperature strips are iffy and only work if you are drawing propane out at a fast rate. A remote reading scale under each tank would be great of someone made such a device. Tanks with built in float level meters ( like very large tanks have ) would be great but no one makes them.

I suppose someone could design a strain gauge scale which fits under the tank, but it would be hideously expensive.

John
you can buy 5 and 7.5 gallon tanks with internal floats and a external level meter, (looks like a fuel gauge, uses a internal magnet on the float to move the gauge needle. Gauge slides onto a brass plug mounted on the tank that threads into the tank with a float attached to it) I have a 5 gallon one on my small toyhauler. You can also buy 5 7.5 and 10 gallon tanks with a internal float with a resistive element for use with readout panels. Sender is a standard value for use with any panel that supports LP readout level.

you can get tanks with these senders at almost any LPG supplier. My 5 gallon tank with float and level meter was about $15 more than an standard 5 gallon tank.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
hankaye

ktmracer, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
you can buy 5 and 7.5 gallon tanks with internal floats and a external level meter, (looks like a fuel gauge, uses a internal magnet on the float to move the gauge needle. Gauge slides onto a brass plug mounted on the tank that threads into the tank with a float attached to it) I have a 5 gallon one on my small toyhauler. You can also buy 5 7.5 and 10 gallon tanks with a internal float with a resistive element for use with readout panels. Sender is a standard value for use with any panel that supports LP readout level.

you can get tanks with these senders at almost any LPG supplier. My 5 gallon tank with float and level meter was about $15 more than an standard 5 gallon tank.
Got a link ??????

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:20 AM   #10
Johnnyfry

Lpg gauge

Ktmracer, I would love to know where you can get these gauges. Can an existing tank be retrofitted?

Thanks, John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote