Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Greysquirrel

Roof recall

Sat. telling me there is a recall on some 2012 & 2013 Bullet and Premier TT. Called my dealer and they told me that some units have a screw coming loose and working its way out on the front transition moulding and that the fix is to put a pop rivet beside it.
As I have an hour to travel to my dealer I think I will just check it and see if I have that problem if I do I may go to them or just fix it myself. If anyone thinks that is a bad idea to fix on my own please let me know.
Greysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Cutting a small slit in the roof membrane and adding a pop rivet is an easy fix, however the implications of doing that could haunt you in the future. There's a 1 year warranty on the RV, the recall to repair the roof is not a part of that. There is also a 10 or 12 year warranty on the roof structure. If you do the repair yourself and in the future there's an issue with the roof membrane, would your repair (instead of the dealer repair) cause an issue with the claim? Possibly not, but if it's not too much of a hassle to let the dealer do the repair, it might save some heartache in the future.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Bob Landry

I just read through the latest revision o Keystone's warranty and I didn't see anything that referenced a 12 year warranty on the roof. Do you have a link to that?

To the OP.. I also didn't see any recalls relating to roofs. I'm thinking that unless you can show where a screw is actually backing out and creating an issue, you are going to have fun getting Keystone to do anything that is non-warranty related, but it would be beneficial to call their CS and get a direct answer rather than go by speculation and "I think" type responses on here. JMHO
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I just read through the latest revision o Keystone's warranty and I didn't see anything that referenced a 12 year warranty on the roof. Do you have a link to that?

To the OP.. I also didn't see any recalls relating to roofs. I'm thinking that unless you can show where a screw is actually backing out and creating an issue, you are going to have fun getting Keystone to do anything that is non-warranty related, but it would be beneficial to call their CS and get a direct answer rather than go by speculation and "I think" type responses on here. JMHO
Bob, the EPDM roof membrane is an "added component" on the Keystone RV lines. As such, the Keystone standard 1 year warranty covers all components (per the owner's manual warranty information) After that one year, as with all other components (A/C, refrigerator, toilet, carpet, etc) it is the owner's responsibility to negotiate any necessary warranty considerations directly with the manufacturer of the specific component. In the case of the EPDM roof membrane, it is manufactured by DICOR and is sold under a number of brand names. Here is the link to the DICOR information sheet:

http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...Dicor-FAQs.pdf

If you look at the "misinformation mistakes and money" section on the first page of that document, you'll find the statement that the roof is designed to last 20 years and has a 10-12 year guarantee depending on the branding.

When I bought my RV, the information on the roof material, branding and warranty was included in the owner's packet along with the information on all the appliances and their warranty information. I don't have that packet here, it is in my trailer in storage, but it lists what is and is not covered and all the owner's responsibilities to maintain coverage just as the other components warranty information does. I don't remember what specifically it says to do (or not do) but there is a concise warranty document in my owner's packet with regards to the roof membrane.

You might want to check your packet, if it's not there, your dealer or Keystone may be able to provide you with the brand and whether you have a 10 or 12 year manufacturer's guarantee.

My concern with owner repair of the protruding screw, as stated above, is in dealing with a third party should any warranty work need to be done. Any "owner repair" may cause an issue with that third party benefit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Bob Landry

Thanks for the link. I don't remember seeing anything but I'll look in my packet and see if there is anything there that I may have overlooked. The link was to Primetime's website and does not seem to be directly connected to Keystone. That makes me think that any warranty issues relative to the roof would have to be handled through Dicor in the same manner as would be with any third party items on the trailer and that Keystone in normal fashion would claim neutrality in the event of a problem after the initial warranty period. At any rate, a call to Keystone would still be beneficial if for no other reason than the establish what would need to be done and through whom in the event of a warranty service need.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

You're right, I think, Keystone will most likely disavow any knowledge after the first year. Hopefully they can tell you what brand is installed, but knowing Keystone's record keeping..... <sigh>

The Dicor website is www.dicor.com and there are links to the specific two Dicor roof membranes complete with warranty information, installation and maintenance links as well. The first link I posted was just one that referenced the membrane warranty information.

Here is the Dicor link to the membrane warranty that is on my trailer:

https://dicorproducts.com/catalog/ro...ubber-roofing/

It's interesting to note (I didn't know this) that the warranty is a pro-rated warranty. It is actually a 5 year replacement of materials (no labor or other equipment) and after that, it's pro-rated through the 12th year.

There is the usual "does not apply in some states where you may have more legal rights" so maybe, in the event of a roof failure, finding out where to file the claim may have benefit

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Iowacamper

Reading a brochure for the Raptor -- Under "Exterior" last bullet point.
As written-

* "One Piece EPDM Rubber Roof"
(12 year waranty)
Iowacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowacamper View Post
Reading a brochure for the Raptor -- Under "Exterior" last bullet point.
As written-

* "One Piece EPDM Rubber Roof"
(12 year waranty)
Always remember, when talking about contracts and warranty issues, the large print "giveth" and the small print "taketh away"

If you read beyond that brochure, you'll find that the EPDM rubber roof is indeed warrantied for 12 years. That means the EPDM rubber material is warrantied for 12 years. The seams, the seals, the adhesive that secures it to the roof substructure are NOT covered for 12 years. In fact, they aren't even covered for the one year Keystone warranty period. keystone states in the owner's manual that it is the owner's responsibility to inspect and repair the roof, seals, and structure frequently to assure no damage or leakage occurs. We have forum members who have stated that within the warranty period Keystone has refused to repair obvious roof problems stating that the damage was a result of the owner not complying with the required inspection and resealing instructions.

Although the majority of owners have not encountered this type of refusal, some have. It would be to your benefit to understand the complete roof warranty, not just the "large print that giveth".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
davidjsimons

I too was informed when I purchased my TT that there was a twelve year warranty on the roof. I've not seen it in writing though, but then again, I haven't looked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
Bob Landry

I went back to the Keystone site and started doing searches and in a round about way, I did find the info on the 12 year warranty. I'm wondering why it isn't in the latest Owners manual, and I would be even more curious what it actually covers and under what conditions.