Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
DTJ9610

SLideout Support Brackets

This is our 1st trailer with slideouts, and as I was looking through one of the magazines I saw the support brackets. Does anyone recommend using these. We have a Laredo 303TG (2 slides)

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
joseph.feucht

I have an Alpine 3500RE with four slides. Have had it for seven months and have lived in it all that time. Although I have not been able to travel much, I have seen thousands of slides and to this day only one camper had supports under the slide. I asked the owner why he put them, and basically his answer had to do with the fact that he had a freezer full of meat in one area of the slide and that is why he had used the braces. Other than that, I don't see many with them around Louisiana, Texas, and Arkansas.
joseph.feucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
THedges

I have never used supports on either one of my trailers with slideouts and have never had any issues.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Outbackmel

Braces

Depends on where your "people" movement is in the RV. One of our triple slides supports the LR; ie couch and chair. We are not larger frame people, BUT, we found that by adding the supports; it all but eliminated any RV movement on the side. Works well for us. NOW, consider this: we ONLY use it when we are on our normal concrete pad that we have leased in our resort for 5 years. We DO NOT mess with them when we travel. Nor do I take the front end tri pod stabilizer or vinyl wheel covers when we go for 3 weeks or less and/or plan to move frequently. You can drive yourself nuts trying to achieve perfection
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
tampacamper

I have never used them on ours
tampacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
KanTC

We were told (several years ago) by a dealer, 'not' to use any type of supports on a slide-out.

His explanation was that slide-outs are not designed to be supported from the outside, and doing so would cause damage (warping, leaks, gear problems, etc, etc) & void the warranty.

I don't know if that was strictly his opinion, or fact - possibly even outdated info for newer RV's - but wanted to share that tidbit as food for thought.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
DTJ9610

I appreciate the feedback. Conceptially they make sense, however based on some of the arguements against (loss of tire pressue, etc) it makes even more sense not to use.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:55 AM   #8
bigfoot1939

Smile slide out supports

We have an 07 Laredo with one slide. I saw one guy using supports and his view was it gave him more stability and less movement. He also had only one slide out.

I have a set now and use them only when we are staying for a few days.

I have found they do seem to eliminate/minimize movement and help keep the trailer level. When we set up I level the trailer and put the stands down BEFORE extending the slide out and many times moving the slide out causes a small tilt.
bigfoot1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:15 AM   #9
Bowline

Leave Well-Enough Alone

Over the past 2 years, my wife and I have been on the road for over 4 months, have towed thousands of miles, and have used our trailer's slide hundreds of times. We have had no trouble with it, whatsoever. When extended, the slide is supported from its top edge, and from its sides. The weight of the slide ensures that the seals are fully engaged along all surfaces. If support is provided from beneath the slides's outer edge, the seals will not be fully engaged, so water and air leaks will occur, along with potential warping.

The slide support is one accessory that in my humble opinion has the potential to damage your trailer. My vote is to leave well-enough alone, and don't provide any external support to the slide. The slide is designed to either be fully extended or retracted. In either position, it is well supported, all by itself.

(My wife and I are one month into a three-month, 8,000 mile cross-country trip. Everything is going well - there have been no problems with the trailer at all!)
Bowline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #10
jq1031

Traveled almost 30 thousand mile in our last RV, it had four slides that were in constant use. We never used a brace or jack to support the slides. Also, I can honestly say I've never seen one in use. Our current RV has one slide & we have no intention of using a slide jack.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote