Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
ryand

Laredo 291TG Owners Input

Hi! New member here…..Looking for some information and honest owner’s options of the Laredo 291TG. We are in the final phases of deciding on our first RV purchase and have arrived at a max GVRW and length I am comfortable towing. My TV is a 2011 Ram with all the towing parts with a rating of 10,000# we have a limit of roughly 31’ Trailer OAL and do not want anything with a GVRW over 8K or so with a little wiggle room. The length potentially could be a problem with some of the state parks in MO but not a major issue.

After renting multiple times….figuring out what we did and didn’t like about the various rental Models and gaining confidence towing and adjusting WD/Sway Systems I feel that we are down to a couple of models and the 291TG for me is in the leed…my wife is somewhat on board but concerned about a few items the camper lacks.

There are multiple things we like about the trailer….Outdoor Kitchen/Bar is a must. Bunk house is a must with 2 kids and a large do we like the idea of a separate area for kids to go to bed early have their own “Room”. Some of the things I don’t like is lack of drawers in the Kitchen, Tiny bathroom and lack of a roof vent in the BH area.

One thing that is not clear that we did like while traveling with the rentals is accessibility of the bathroom while in route with the slide closed. Also access to the BH for loading and such is also in question. Can any current owners comment on this topic??

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
pollockd

We got our 291 last May. ALso have a RAM 1500 Hemi. Happy with it so far. Was alos looking at the 303. The 291 is about 33 ft tong to back. Fits in the driveway barely. Also have 2 kids. Drawers are at the entrance to door. Hasn't been a problem yet. Stuff we don't use much, we put in cabinets over couch. 303 has a bigger bathroom because of the outside door. The size has not been a problem. mostly used for doing "number 1s" brushing teeth etc. Have not really noticed no vent in BH.

We stop and use the bathroom every so often. You should put the slide out a foot or so, so you don't step on the floor part. Not sure what you mean about loading the BH. we have our kids stuff in there.

overall it's been a great experience camping with the 291tg. it looks awsome and so far it's functional.
pollockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Laredo291OH

Hi Ryand,

We have the 291TG that we just purchased last April so we got to use it for a 1 season so far. The outdoor kitchen is great, and so is the bunkhouse. We have not had an issue so far without a vent in the BH, but it seems we were always using the AC when camping (kids have lots of allergies). We had concerns about the lack of drawers in the kitchen too, but we have adapted without problems, we now keep silverware, plates etc both inside and out. The one problem I do have with the trailer is what you pointed out about the slide. The BH, bath and kitchen are NOT accessible when the slide is in. When we stop along the way we will put the slide out just enough to function. I'm towing with a 2009 Yukon that is rated to tow 8200 lbs, which is the exact GVW of the 291TG. I have has some issues with sway even though we are using the Reese Dual Cam. I'm currently looking to upgrade to a 2500HD in the spring. The grill that comes with the 291TG is also worthless, the 2 burner cooktop in the outdoor kitchen works well but we have already replaced the grill with the Camco Olympian and it works very well. So, after all of this.... we like the camper and would buy again.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
SLIMSHADIE

Had mine 2.5 years and love it. Minor problems but I fixed them. Bought my 2010 model in 2009, first year 291. Its our first camper other than renting a class c 5 years ago.
Outdoor kitchen a must, 2nd fridge helps out alot even thought its only 110v. Mine didnt come with the grill, but I added the mount and bought the Camco Olympian-used only once. We use the stove top all the time, though. We cook over the campfire 99.9%. We got used to the 2 drawers. Tiny bathroom, but the 303 is bigger. With that said the 2nd door would be great, not to track thru the camper every time you have to use the bathroom. On trips we just put the slide out a foot or so, as previously mentioned. A vent in the BH would of been nice since it does get a stuffy back there. With one 12volt outlet, I bought a 12volt power strip and also bought 2 12volt rotating fans that my 2 kids just clamp the middle dresser top. It helps, they sleep on the 2 top bunks.
As far as pulling, I dont even know its back there with my 3500 diesel. I do have the reese dual cam 1200/12000 round bar setup and love it too. My buddy has the sister Springdale version and pulled it with a Chevy 1500. The camper was too much, so he bought the Chevy 2500 diesel. No problems now.

As fas as my 291, we love it. The 303 wasn't out yet, but it would fit us better with the 2nd door and bigger bathroom. The BH would be there sleeping/play room rather than hanging out on the dinette. Again my truck would pull it very easy, but my next upgrade will be a fifth wheel a few years down the road, maybe when the kids are gone, maybe also a Toy Hauler.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
DTJ9610

We looked a the 291 and did like what it had to offer. However with 3 boys we opted for the 303 due to the extra room. We tow it with a 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 w/ Tow. Max tow is 10,300 and GCVW is 16,000(ish - cant seem to find my chart). Spent thi past season in it with no issues. Either way we are glad we went with the bigger one.

The outside kitchen is great. Use it for just about all of my cooking. If you have the opportunity you may want to compare sister models (outback, etc). One thing we liked about the Outback sister to the 303 is the dinette seats had slide out drawers (which were very nice). Worst case you find things that give you ideas on modifications to what you buy.

Good luck with the new camper.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Bruins#17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTJ9610 View Post
We looked a the 291 and did like what it had to offer. However with 3 boys we opted for the 303 due to the extra room. We tow it with a 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 w/ Tow. Max tow is 10,300 and GCVW is 16,000(ish - cant seem to find my chart). Spent thi past season in it with no issues. Either way we are glad we went with the bigger one.

The outside kitchen is great. Use it for just about all of my cooking. If you have the opportunity you may want to compare sister models (outback, etc). One thing we liked about the Outback sister to the 303 is the dinette seats had slide out drawers (which were very nice). Worst case you find things that give you ideas on modifications to what you buy.

Good luck with the new camper.
fyi..the new 2012 291 & 303 models have the slide out drawers under the dinette.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new dinnette in 303tg.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	897  
Bruins#17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
DTJ9610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins#17 View Post
fyi..the new 2012 291 & 303 models have the slide out drawers under the dinette.
1 year off... That's nice.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
Bruins#17

Sorry...they added a few good features and took some away. They eliminated the power stabilizer jacks on the new 2012's.
Bruins#17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
mtbkrdan

whew, thank god we decided to go after the early 2012 model. They did away with the u-shaped dinette which was a must for us having 2 young kids right now.

Asking about 291TG, not to steal any thunder, are there any recommendations on how to anchor a standard 14 in TV and DVD player to the flat top in the bunkhouse?
mtbkrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #10
rojoslay

2012 Laredo 291TG

We just bought our 2012 in March and have taken it couple times camping in Colorado. Storage has not been an issue as IMO there is a ton of it. The 2012 does not have the electric stabalizers but has not been an issue for us. We have two kids as well and they love the BH in the rear, as so do we!! As for the bath room, we have had no issues with the size, yes shower is a bit small but gets the job done for what we need it for. I am 6'2 230, I would imagine any taller could be a problem I guess. I pull the trailer with an H2 Hummer with no issues at all. So far my wife and I are very pleased with the camper. I do have to take into the shop with some minor issue to be fixed with the flooring, table, and the electric water heater. I am not sure if I am working the electric water heater correctly or its not working. The Gas water heater works great.

Good luck in your search!
rojoslay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
pbryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoslay View Post
The 2012 does not have the electric stabalizers but has not been an issue for us.
FWIW, I was told by the Laredo rep at a show that this was done because too many electric motors were being burned up due to people holding down the switches trying to lift the trailer off the ground.

Personally I'm fine with the manual jacks too, seems like there would be less chance for problems down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoslay View Post
I am not sure if I am working the electric water heater correctly or its not working. The Gas water heater works great.
There are 2 switches for the electric water heater, one on the inside panel, and another inside the water heater access hatch outside. Both have to to be on to heat the water. Perhaps the one outside is off?
pbryan is offline   Reply With Quote