Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
Fastback

Slide out adjustments

So I bought a Larado 5th wheel. It was a handyman special. When we got it home I noticed that the ceiling in the slider had a buckle caused by a leak. When I inspected the roof I noticed it had a few cracks and tears in the rubber roofing and thought I could make a repair. I used some 4 inch tape that was supposed to make a permanent seal. Oh, I also noticed that in a couple of places I could feel that the plywood was weak under the rubber roof. I was hoping to get by until the fall when I thought I would have more time.

Well needless to say the repair failed so back to the drawing board. As I had mentioned in my first post introduction I do have some experience in camper repairs, just 40 years of rust on me. After discussing the problem with my wife we decided to bite the bullet and do a full repair. We ended out removing the roof, framework and ceiling. Both the finish ceiling and the outside plywood needed to be totally replaced. The frame was OK it just needed to be beefed up a little. I used pocket screws, and purchased new vinyl ceiling plywood and Luan for the roof side.

At this point, the rubber roof is replaced as well as the outside trim. I'll be making a new header since the original (1 inch thick laminated, 1/2 inch plywood) has a sag.

I did notice that before, as well as now, the slider does not fully extend and return to make a full seal. One side is not bad but the other could be brought in an additional 1/4 to 1/2 inch. The problem is mostly on the top of the unit. The bottom is not bad. I also noted that the slide seems to be closer to one side than the other. What I mean is when standing in side the camper I cansee more air space on the right side wall of the slide out than the left side.

Now keep in mind that I made sure the camper was completely level before starting the repairs. I have checked for plumb and both sides are OK. I did not check for corner to corner square yet. Oh, and this had the same fit before the repair, so it ws not anything I did.

So the question is, how do I make the adjustment's to the cable and/or hydraulics? I have not made any attempt at an adjustment at this point, so I am starting from square one.

Sorry for such a long winded question, but I thought I should explain what I have and what I have done to get you all up to speed.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice I may receive.
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
jsmith948

On our Cougar, the slide mechanisms are made by Lippert. I was able to go on their website and download the service manual for our slides. Do you know who supplied the slide mechanism? You could try contacting a dealer or the previous owner. Perhaps they know who the supplier was. Hopefully, one of the forum members with your model of trailer will know - good luck!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Fastback -
If it is a Lippert slide, here is their website: www.lci1.com

They have manuals that have an Adjustment Instruction section which you may find useful.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
Fastback

Festus, how can I tell what brand slide I have? It is made up of a piston, cable and tubes. Will it have a name on it somewhere?
Old 04-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

If you go to the Lippert website that Festus2 gave you , you can look at the pictures of the different types of slides that they make. What year and model is your Laredo???? That will help us help you. I think they only started using cable slides in very recent years. Most before that were motor driven (electric) slides.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Fastback

Thanks Hank, my Laredo is a 2001, I believe the Model is 27KR.