Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
papagreg

awning brace

Does anybody know a way to make a center brace for and awning without having to buy one for 125.00? the winds gets this 21+' awning rockin and rollin at times. I tried pvc but the weight of the fabric just bend the pvc the other way.... I know there has to be a handyman out there that has conquered this,.... so if you would share your genius I would be more than glad to follow your instructions,.... Ya Have a Great Day

PapaGreg
papagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There are two reasons to have a center brace (support) on awnings longer than 16'. First, as you've learned is to keep the awning assembly from "flapping in the breeze" and possibly bending from that sail effect. The second and one we don't see because of when it happens is the bouncing when the awning is stowed and we are towing down the highway. The trailer bouncing puts significant stress on the awning as it sits up there, rolled up and supported only at the ends. So, Carefree came out with the center support/awning arm to solve the bouncing issue. Then they came out with the "automatic" center support which only supports the awning during travel. It has no center arm to help support the awning when in the deployed position.

There are other awning "bows" that can be bought to keep the fabric tighter, but don't offer any support for the awning roller tube.

Which problem are you trying to resolve? Roller tube bouncing/bending or fabric tightness?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
papagreg

Awning

I need to keep the awning tight. I'm here for long periods and the awning droops in the middle. I have those things that screw onto the sides to pull it tight but there is a distinct droop in the middle and when the wind blows it makes me nervous. there are things that go under that are like bows that keep it from sagging. Im figuring there is a way to make one rather than to order them. Theyre very expensive

Thanks

Greg
papagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I had a 22' awning on our HR. It didn't have a center awning rafter/ground pole and one "strong wind" lifted it and buckled the awning tube. The RV was new then, and it was covered under warranty, but while they were installing a new tube (over $300) I had them go ahead and install the Carefree center support/rafter/ground pole. It cost about $85 back in 94, now it's $166.39 and here's the link for the complete assembly:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-carefree/7860

You can get just the upper (under the canvas) part separately, for $119.59 at this link:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-carefree/7859

If I were you, I'd go ahead and get the ground support also for the extra 40 bucks. It all attaches to the side of your RV, supports the tube during travel, then opens with the canvas, tightens against the roller to keep the canvas tight and also attaches to the side if the RV (like the end supports, or attaches to the ground to give a bit more room. If you've got the automatic awning, you'll have to deploy this support manually, like on the old awnings, but if you have a manual awning, it's just the same procedure as your other tow supports.

Hope this helps at least a little.

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote