Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
jp21

Bedroom slide moving out by itself?

I have a 2012 Montana 3000RK,and the slides were out for about a month during a cold spell.I closed the slides after the snow melted.Now the bedroom slide above the fifth wheel hitch slowly creeps out until it is halfway extended.I contacted my dealer and they suggested opening and closing the slides 10 to 15 times over a few days,and hoping this will purge the lines.This doesn't seem to be working;the slide continues to open by itself.Does anyone have any answers or suggestions? Thank you.

Moderator's Note -
This post originally appeared in New Member Check In and moved here.
jp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Paddler

Run all the slides in, then check the hydrolic fluid level in the reservoir. It should be about an inch and a half or so from the top. If it is considerably lower than that, there is a good chance when you extend the slides, air is getting sucked into the system from the reservoir causing the slide creep.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
jp21

Thanks for the reply Paddler.The coach is also equipped with the Lippert Level-Up Automatic Leveling,and my hydraulic reservoir is already about half way full with the leveling system engaged,and the slides out.But I have been monitoring the fluid level each time I extend and retract the slides.The fluid levels seem to raise and lower about the same on each slide operation.
jp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
davidjsimons

Simply opening and closing the slide should not purge the lines in my opinion. I don't specifically know about your trailer , but most hydraulic systems are closed. What this means is if you have air in the system, you will have to crack a line with the cylinder extended and then retract to purge the air. Then tighten the line and repeat until you don't see any air in the fluid. Watch your fluid level while doing this and do not allow it to run out. If you do, you will draw air into the system. Check for a bleeder on the cylinder. As I said, I do not have any experience with your trailer, but I know this is how I bleed my dump trailers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
campingjohn

Slide creeping open

I have a 2010 Keystone Montana Mount. and I love it. When I come back from a trip and park it the bed room slide creeps open about 3/4 in. The fluid is full can anyone help and I close it up and it open again. John
campingjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingjohn View Post
I have a 2010 Keystone Montana Mount. and I love it. When I come back from a trip and park it the bed room slide creeps open about 3/4 in. The fluid is full can anyone help and I close it up and it open again. John
campingjohn,

to the forum. We're happy to have you as a new member and hope you find your time here to be well spent learning about your RV and contributing to the forum as well.

To partly answer your question about your slide creeping out, without knowing how old your RV is or what condition it's in, it would be hard to pinpoint a specific problem. Usually, however, most hydraulic slide assemblies creep because of one of three problems. 1) low fluid level 2) air in the hydraulic system or 3) a bad piston seal in the hydraulic cylinder. There are other possible problems, but I think you'll find your problem to be with one of these.

Again, welcome and good luck finding your problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote