Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
cdchapman

New TT, Passport 3220GT Advise/Discussions

Hello everyone,

Just bought a new 2012 Passport 3220BH and love it. My TV is a 2008 Chevy Suburban LTZ, 5.3 L V-8 with an E-2 WD hitch and sway control, and electric brake controller. Brought it home from northern Alabama to south Georgia with no problem. Now that I've accessorized it with my stuff, I can tell a significant difference in towing. Went for first camping trip this past weekend. Took wife, kids, coolers, grill, etc and seemed alot more sluggish to start and stop. Learned alot the hard way. Any advice for loading the camper and or maximizing the towability of my suburban? I've heard about the 12% tongue weight rule but how can you really calculate this by the time your propane tanks are full, additional luggage, and each trip is different with different amounts of additional weight. Can't afford a new diesel truck right now, maybe in the future. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
cdchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
blackty

When I bought my first camper, 281BHS fifth wheel, the dealer wanted to see my registration for my tow vehicle. Your dealer should be kicked in the groin. Make sure your brake control is set up properly. You should be able to adjust for weight of TV vs. weight of camper. Prodigy, as well as others do. The weight adds up fast. Adults, kids, dogs, food, clothes...you get the idea. Be safe...Jim
Old 05-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
SteveC7010

If your Suburban has 3.73 gears, it is rated to tow 7,000#. 4.10 gears give another 1,000# of capacity. If you have shorter gears, like the 3.53's, your towing capacity is diminished, probably down to 6,000# or less.

The spec dry weight for your trailer is 6,109# with a carrying capacity of 1,391#. Add them together to arrive at a GVWR of 7,500#. I suspect the Suburban is already well loaded up with family and stuff as well.

Without know all the numbers for your TV and your load, it's difficult to give a more precise answer, but the bottom line appears to be that you are probably at max capacity for that truck, or even overloaded.

If it felt sluggish with your stuff and family on board, that is undoubtedly the reason.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
f6bits

Travel light. We don’t user coolers – just what fits in the fridge/freezer. If you need more food, go to the local grocery store when you get there. Use a small grill – we use the Weber Q-120. Make sure your holding tanks are empty. No fresh water, no waste water.

Make sure your hitch is properly set up. Follow the owners manual. And double-check once you’re fully loaded and ready to go. I have tools with me to adjust the bars and hitch height to compensate for loading.

Stay away from hills and wind.

The only way to know for sure what stuff weighs is to hit the scales. Again, loaded for a trip, hit the scales. Weigh: front axle, both axles, then truck and trailer. Do the math to find out your rear axle weight and compare the numbers to your door sticker for GAWR. I know when you’re on a trip, you’re in a hurry, which is why I didn’t mention weighing the trailer by itself, which would help you calculate tongue weight. It’s the GAWRs that are most important. GVWR is also important and you’ll get that from the first two axles’ weight measurement.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
If your Suburban has 3.73 gears, it is rated to tow 7,000#. 4.10 gears give another 1,000# of capacity. If you have shorter gears, like the 3.53's, your towing capacity is diminished, probably down to 6,000# or less..
quick FYI to Steve... 3.42 gears are taller gears than 4.10s which would be considered short.

Lower number is tall, traditionally considered a tall gear - for highway cruising performance is an auto.

Higher number is short, traditionally considered a short - for spinning gears up quicker under load or drag racing.

Just posting this for clarification.

Carry on..
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
ls1mike

I have the same trailer and tow it with a 3/4 ton, 4.10, 6.0 Chevy. I think you just may be a tad bit over what the 5.3 Chevy Suburan is rated to do. I think you are just going to be a bit sluglish. You are moving a lot of weight with that 5.3. Pack light and take it eay,
ls1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
ls1mike

Just towed mine in HEAVY winds. Glad I have the long wheel base truck. It was nice and smooth with the E2 it sure is an easy towing trailer for it lenght. I suppose that is because it is light.
ls1mike is offline   Reply With Quote