Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2024, 09:54 AM   #21
Bliss53

One more thought. I noticed the queen bed in our 2024 2870RL is a true queen at 60x80 inches which is only 6 inches narrower than our wildwood "king" at 66x78 inches.
Bliss53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 04:00 PM   #22
PappyD

So much great advice! Congrats on your purchase!

Wife and I have a similar but a little smaller rig for just the 2 of us. Game changers for us have been:
1 - adding freestanding powered recliners instead of the jackknife sofa
2 - keyless entry for the door (Onnais RV Door Lock)

We travel to FL from Indiana so we are up and down I65 often. I plan out the fuel stops so we frequent the Pilot/Flying J's that have the remote RV pump islands. SO EASY to pull up/fuel up and then be on your way. Beware the "funnel of doom" places where you can get in but you'll be stuck having to do some fancy backing. Your spouse will thank both of us! Buc-ees have plenty of room too.

Take your time! When our kids were little we would make those epic, all-nighter road trips. Too much diet coke and coffee and 'ole dad would arrive and need a day to recover. No more!

Good Luck!

2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 5.7 Hemi
2017 Passport Elite 23 RB
PappyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:34 AM   #23
Craig G

Welcome from Northern Ohio. Don't worry about taking a few attempts (or even several - hush wife) as I did. Plus, I have OCD. We just arrived in Pennsylvania and she could not understand what my issue was with being parallel with the pad of our space! 🙄

Definitely go practice at a church parking lot and understand there maybe certain sounds and groans from the hitch and trailer you may not be used to.

Most of all get out on the road and enjoy!
Craig G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:46 AM   #24
mboge

Update: It's ours!

We Just picked up our new rig yesterday!

(We had the dealer install a second air unit in the bedroom, so we hadn't finalized the deal last week... only put up $1k deposit and didn't sign any paperwork until delivery day).

So for whatever reason, I spent the last week torturing myself by watching YouTube video after video telling me how sneaky and awful Camping World is - and that nobody should ever buy an RV from them, and that they high-pressure sell you unnecessary add-ons and extended service warranties, etc.

Oh, crap. Did I make a mistake? What am I going to be in for with the finance guy when I go to sign the paperwork? Am I willing to walk away - even though my wife has already fallen in love with the rig and has been picking out accessories and planning out where she will put all the things all week? Hmm... was that $1k deposit refundable?

Well - I'm happy to say, all of that worrying was for naught. No surprise costs added to the original bill-of-sale we agreed upon. No high-pressure sales pitch from the finance guy to add extended service (he went through the pitch, but when I said 'no thanks' he said, 'ok' and moved on). He knew that I had already secured financing through my Credit Union and while he had tried to beat/match their rates over the course of the week, ultimately he couldn't until the day before delivery. And by that time, I already had a check in hand and wasn't looking to switch for a .01% rate improvement.

That's not to say the experience couldn't have been better. The "PDI" that the tech gave us was very brief. The guy was nice, but only covered the basics and didn't actually operate everything to show it was working (eg. he didn't operate the slides or awnings... just pointed to the buttons that operated it). When I told him that my wife and I were going to do our own PDI inspection, he said "Sure, I'll come back in like 15 minutes?" We both laughed and said we'd come and get him when we were done!

After a couple of hours taking a fine-toothed comb to the trailer (grateful to the internet for so many good PDI checklists!), we came back with a list of smallish items for them to address - mostly fit and finish issues - which they agreed to do. Then on to the paperwork... of which there were endless documents to sign (and I wasn't even financing through them!). I read each document carefully before signing. The finance guy was very nice (it's a shame that I was trained by those videos to see this as a 'tactic' ) and very thorough - providing us some good advice about what to do and not do with the rig. I handed him a check, we shook hands, and we are now the owners of a 2024 Keystone Passport GT 2870RL!

More about the journey home (and parking!) in another message...
mboge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:02 AM   #25
mboge

Update 2: The hitch

So, I forgot to mention before about the weight distribution/anti-sway hitch the dealer convinced me to get from them and have them install it.

I had done my research about towing, truck size, payload capacity, GVWRs, etc. and I came to the conclusion that with my tow vehicle (gas-powered 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie) was more than capable to tow this RV. I read a lot about WD and anti-sway hitches, and while everything I read said they were great, I came away with the perception that while they were very "nice to have", it probably wasn't totally necessary in my situation. (I had planned on probably getting one in the future... after doing more research, of course! ).

Last week, before we started negotiating on price, the sales manager looked at my truck and asked what I was planning to use as a hitch. I showed him a fancy heavy duty, adjustable aluminum hitch that I had just bought... he said, "oh no, you can't tow this RV with that... you need a w/d hitch". I was unprepared... and with my wife looking at me with her are you gonna get us killed? look... I agreed to buy one from them and have them install it. He was (too) happy to do that for me... for $999.

During negotiation, I was laser focused on the final "out the door" price I was willing to pay for this unit (that included the rig, hitch, second air conditioning unit, prep, tags, title, etc.). I got them to agree to the number that I walked into the dealership willing to pay for this rig before I knew I was going to also have to spring for a w/d hitch. I was satisfied with the deal and rationalized to myself that I was willing to pay that amount without a hitch - so basically the hitch was "thrown in for free".

That was until I told my uncle (a life-long RVer) the story... at which point he said, in essence, "How stupid could you be? You can get a w/d hitch for $300-$400 and install it yourself!"

His comment, coupled with my absolute obsession with over-researching everything, had me beating myself up... I mean, I didn't even know what brand/model hitch they were installing - just that it cost $999! So, I called my salesman and told him that was was researching w/d hitches and wanted to know the brand and model of the one they were going to install. After a few "reminder" calls, he was able to tell me it was the "Trailer Life 10k". I couldn't find a single review of that brand... much less of that particular hitch (I guess it's a Camping World-exclusive brand, but no reviews had me particularly twitchy).

I went to CW's website and saw that this hitch was only $490! So, apparently I was going to be paying them $409 to install this thing?? (This is their retail site, so there is already a markup built in). I couldn't stand for that. So, after a little (a lot) of research, one of the other brands they sell at CW that gets pretty good reviews was the "Equal-i-zer 10k 4-Point Sway Control Hitch". So, I called them up and said I was doing some research and I want that one instead. The retail sales manager complimented me in my choice - that this was probably the best one they sold - but it was about $300 more than the original one. I said, "no problem" and he said "great, that's the one we'll put on".

I had absolutely no intention of paying a dime more for that hitch.

The line item on the Bill of Sale that I shook hands on (and put $1k deposit down) simply said "HITCH W/SWAY-CONTROL $999". It didn't specify the make or model. While I was fully expecting them to get me to pay the extra $300, I was also 100% prepared to stick to my guns and not pay them anything. I mean, they sell this hitch on their retail website for $737... so, they were going to have a very difficult time telling me that I needed to pay them more than $262 to install the thing! (I already have a hard enough time swallowing that much!)

Well, when I went to pick up the RV on Saturday, there was no mention of the upgraded hitch on the bill of sale (still said $999) and was pleasantly surprised to see that they actually installed the upgraded hitch, too!

I don't know what trailer sway feels like (and I hope to never know what it feels like), but during the drive home with 33' trailer in tow, it was very smooth and if I didn't know better, I could almost forget I was towing anything.

But this hitch wasn't going to help me with parking this thing in my driveway! More on that in another message...
Old 03-26-2024, 01:14 PM   #26
jxnbbl

Glad you had a great experience. Agree your RAM will easily pull this and you go the WD hitch that many in this forum have including myself. Have a great time with it!
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:36 PM   #27
markdol1

Congrats on the new camper. Rest assured we all have felt exactly as you do .its a learning curve so GO SLOW as you need to feel comfortable. I have been a teamster driver for a living for almost 30 years .with my2023 cougar 37.5 ft bumper pull being my 5th trailer over the years and i am still very wary about my surroundings. Why don't you take a weekend and go to the fairgrounds next to NC state stadium off Hillendale and trinity rd. its only $35 dollars a night with full hookups and try everything out. Also the weekend flea market is right across the street . Have fun!
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:07 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats on getting it and getting it home. You DO need the WDH with sway on that trailer (8800lbs. - 33') without a doubt. The 3/4 can carry it just fine but it can and WILL start to wag the dog given the right situation - btdt.

Camping Worlds come in all kinds of flavors (quality) depending on the management structure of the individual dealership. Sounds like you got a pretty good one which is great. I've had good luck with them in nearly every place I've been but others have not.

The Equalizer was a great choice and is probably about the best out there unless you move to a $3k Hensley. Hope you get it in the drive without problem....be sure and let us know how it goes. As has been mentioned - take your time, get out when you feel the need.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:57 AM   #29
pawpaw

Congrats on the new camper! Great that you and probably the boss lady did some research before buying. The driving and setting up camp will come with repetition and get easier the more you do it. Good choice on the 4 point Equalizer that can be noisy be they're effective. We had 2 fifth wheels before we downsized to a 30 ft travel trailer so no problems with tight backing in spots. Get use to using your mirrors when backing and get out and look before you back into the spot at a campground. I drove trucks for 6 yrs in the National Guard and finally drove tanker trucks for one of the major oil companies. In the early 70's trucks were still without power steering and every so often I'd have a cabover with sleeper with no power steering and make tight deliveries in downtown New Orleans!! Once you get the hang of backing it becomes a piece of cake. Let the wife learn also!! Happy Motoring...
Old 03-27-2024, 12:25 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboge View Post
So, I forgot to mention before about the weight distribution/anti-sway hitch the dealer convinced me to get from them and have them install it.

Well, when I went to pick up the RV on Saturday, there was no mention of the upgraded hitch on the bill of sale (still said $999) and was pleasantly surprised to see that they actually installed the upgraded hitch, too!

I don't know what trailer sway feels like (and I hope to never know what it feels like), but during the drive home with 33' trailer in tow, it was very smooth and if I didn't know better, I could almost forget I was towing anything.

But this hitch wasn't going to help me with parking this thing in my driveway! More on that in another message...

I failed to mention in my prior post; the Equalizer can make some noise. Be sure and lube the ball/hitch head as the instructions call for then buy the little plastic L bracket covers. Between the 2 it quiets it down to almost nothing.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:40 PM   #31
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I failed to mention in my prior post; the Equalizer can make some noise. Be sure and lube the ball/hitch head as the instructions call for then buy the little plastic L bracket covers. Between the 2 it quiets it down to almost nothing.
Or hit the riding surfaces of the trunnion bars and L brackets with a wire brush before connecting to remove any rust, scale or glaze. This will significantly quiet down the WDH with sway control. Otherwise it will make a racket that sounds like something is coming apart or failing until the surfaces a rubbed clean. NEVER OIL OR LUBRICATE the riding surfaces of the trunnion sway device.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:17 PM   #32
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboge View Post

I had done my research about towing, truck size, payload capacity, GVWRs, etc. and I came to the conclusion that with my tow vehicle (gas-powered 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie) was more than capable to tow this RV. I read a lot about WD and anti-sway hitches, and while everything I read said they were great, I came away with the perception that while they were very "nice to have", it probably wasn't totally necessary in my situation. (I had planned on probably getting one in the future... after doing more research, of course! ).

Last week, before we started negotiating on price, the sales manager looked at my truck and asked what I was planning to use as a hitch. I showed him a fancy heavy duty, adjustable aluminum hitch that I had just bought... he said, "oh no, you can't tow this RV with that... you need a w/d hitch". I was unprepared... and with my wife looking at me with her are you gonna get us killed? look... I agreed to buy one from them and have them install it. He was (too) happy to do that for me... for $999.

During negotiation, I was laser focused on the final "out the door" price I was willing to pay for this unit (that included the rig, hitch, second air conditioning unit, prep, tags, title, etc.). I got them to agree to the number that I walked into the dealership willing to pay for this rig before I knew I was going to also have to spring for a w/d hitch. I was satisfied with the deal and rationalized to myself that I was willing to pay that amount without a hitch - so basically the hitch was "thrown in for free".

That was until I told my uncle (a life-long RVer) the story... at which point he said, in essence, "How stupid could you be? You can get a w/d hitch for $300-$400 and install it yourself!"

His comment, coupled with my absolute obsession with over-researching everything, had me beating myself up... I mean, I didn't even know what brand/model hitch they were installing - just that it cost $999! So, I called my salesman and told him that was was researching w/d hitches and wanted to know the brand and model of the one they were going to install. After a few "reminder" calls, he was able to tell me it was the "Trailer Life 10k". I couldn't find a single review of that brand... much less of that particular hitch (I guess it's a Camping World-exclusive brand, but no reviews had me particularly twitchy).

I went to CW's website and saw that this hitch was only $490! So, apparently I was going to be paying them $409 to install this thing?? (This is their retail site, so there is already a markup built in). I couldn't stand for that. So, after a little (a lot) of research, one of the other brands they sell at CW that gets pretty good reviews was the "Equal-i-zer 10k 4-Point Sway Control Hitch". So, I called them up and said I was doing some research and I want that one instead. The retail sales manager complimented me in my choice - that this was probably the best one they sold - but it was about $300 more than the original one. I said, "no problem" and he said "great, that's the one we'll put on".

I had absolutely no intention of paying a dime more for that hitch.

The line item on the Bill of Sale that I shook hands on (and put $1k deposit down) simply said "HITCH W/SWAY-CONTROL $999". It didn't specify the make or model. While I was fully expecting them to get me to pay the extra $300, I was also 100% prepared to stick to my guns and not pay them anything. I mean, they sell this hitch on their retail website for $737... so, they were going to have a very difficult time telling me that I needed to pay them more than $262 to install the thing! (I already have a hard enough time swallowing that much!)

To make you feel bad, go to craigslist and search for "weight distribution hitch". MANY types and most are $300 or less. Many come with instructions and you seem like a clever enough guy to set up a hitch. Do you reckon that the guy at the dealership who they had setting up your hitch was an licensed RV tech? Was he the guy who hoses off the RVS prior to delivery?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 03:25 PM   #33
mboge

Update: Backing it in the driveway...

Sorry for the delay in the final update about whether I was able to get it into my driveway (I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath! ).

So first thing, I took many of your advice to practice in a parking lot first. We picked up the rig on a Saturday, and knowing that the parking lot at my office (which was on the way home) would be empty, I stopped there to practice backing up.

I brought a bunch of cones and laid them out to mimic the width of the street and driveway that forms the 90-degree turn into my home. I took pretty good measurements and set them up to match the hardtop... figuring if I could back in between the cones, I'd have a little wiggle room when doing the real thing because there was some grass I could roll over.

Here's what I was trying to replicate:

What great advice! It took me many tries to figure out where to line up on the street, where to begin my turn, when to correct back, etc... But with each attempt I had a better understanding of how the rig reacted to my turns and gave me more confidence. I made the mistake of using a curb in the parking lot to represent the edge of the street across from my driveway, where there isn't a curb. Because of this, my truck's front tires consistently hit this curb before I could complete the back-in. But I knew where wasn't a curb at home and my last practice run was good enough for me to try it for real.

(A side note to those that mentioned the WD hitch I have is noisy... when I started backing up the first time, I heard such a God-awful sound of metal on metal, I was convinced I broke my RV! It took me a couple of beats before I remembered the warnings about these being noisy and relaxed again).

So I finally arrived at my driveway and my wife jumps out to run to the house and take care of the dog since he's been cooped up all day. While I'm waiting for her to come back and spot me, I got a wild hair and said to myself, "I'll just give it a try... worse case scenario I hit my mailbox and have to pull back out". So, I start backing up and make the first turn - just like in the parking lot - and it looks good! Perfect, in fact (driver-side visibility was very helpful), so I kept going and turned the other way to straighten up. This was the point I always hit the curb in the parking lot... but since there was no curb, it wasn't a problem. (Actually, as it turns out my parking lot reproduction was a little tighter than real life, so my wheel never even left the street at home). At this point my wife was back out and she told me that I was lined up perfectly and just needed to keep going. My concern was the neighbor's mailbox, but I was told that I had plenty of space and indeed I did.

Now I was fully in the driveway and the only thing left was to back it all the way back (a few hundred feet), which was a piece of cake... even threading through the gate to the back of the house.

Success!

Thanks to everyone who helped and look forward to much more great advice!
Old 04-04-2024, 05:01 PM   #34
Craig G

Awesome! Congrats! I feel ya about the noise coming from WD hitch, still makes me nervous too sometimes.
Craig G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 06:30 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats and great job! The practice sure makes it a lot easier and sounds like it went off without a hitch....and it gets easier over time.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:01 AM   #36
Bliss53

Congratulations on your new rig. We upgraded to a 2870L this spring. Going out on a first trip this weekend. Installing all the "stuff" this past week includes camera, snap pads, rugs, shower head, lots of command strip stuff, bedroom tv, router, and all sorts of dog stuff. I am still relatively new at backing up and I draw a snickering neighborhood crowd as I try to back into our short, sloped, and curved driveway. Luckily our storage area is pull through.
Bliss53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led