Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
jshupe

Angry QC/Axle issue on brand new Hideout

I picked up a new 2015 Hideout 260LHS this morning. When walking around the trailer, the first thing I noticed was that the rear axle was oddly articulated and I pointed it out to my sales rep. He assured me that it was just the Correct Track system, and after we went back and forth a couple times about it, I figured he would know better than I and went on with the walkthrough.

On the 82 mile drive home, at 70mph highway speeds, it felt like there was a good amount of rolling resistance that I didn't expect, and I only averaged about 8mpg. I expect 10-12, so 20+% less than this combined with the rolling resistance I didn't expect kept me pretty worried. I stopped a few times to check the trailer and the axle remained positioned as it was at the dealer, so I decided the rear shackle (on the passenger side of the TV) was probably too far back, and made a mental note to file a warranty claim.

When I got it home and into the driveway, I took some pictures and called Keystone to see if a dealer closer to me could handle the repair. They referred me to two dealers. I called the first one and they said that since they don't sell Hideouts, Keystone will not pay them for warranty work, and the other one I was referred to said there is a six week wait for warranty repairs. I finally called the original dealer back and ended up sending them the photo I took. They replied that they would call me back tomorrow about having it repaired. That photo is below, taken with blue masking tape strung across the wheel well to use as a reference point.

After a while, I decided to go back and take a look under the trailer again. I found that on the driver side of the TV, the rear leaf on the trailer is completely disconnected! I just sent the dealer the photo of the disconnected leaf and hope to hear back from them tomorrow, but at this point I'm livid about them not taking my concern seriously, and having to drive home with what I consider to be a fairly dangerous condition. What do you guys think? See the second photo below:

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD w/ Kelderman 4-Link & 19.5 LRH tires
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB w/ Titan disc brakes and LRG tires
KG5PTC 146.520 7.245 mobile
Build and travel blog
jshupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
TFMCKANNA

sorry to hear this

Sorry to hear/see your leaf spring issue. IF it's just a disconnected bolt that should be an easy fix, either at the RV dealer or any nearby boat trailer facility. WHY it's disconnected may be the real issue. good luck.
TFMCKANNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
bg71361

Do not drive/move it fix it where it sits!
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
GaryWT

Since they screwed up they should send a road crew out to fix it, many rv dealer have mobile repair vans. As for mpg, I am sure the the situation had something to do with it but also the Hideout is a more flat front trailer I believe plus going 70 will lead to lower gas mileage. Be careful as most rv tires are only rated at 65 mph. Good luck
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

OUCH! I agree, don't move it until its fixed, or at least a bolt installed to secure the spring pack. How and why it happened may never be truly figured out.

I realize it's late advise, but I have found salespeople only "know" how to sell stuff, from here on out, if you have any questions, bring them up with the service manager and make him/her do whatever it takes to make YOU comfortable. I hope this bad start doesn't sour your taste for the RV lifestyle.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
jshupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I hope this bad start doesn't sour your taste for the RV lifestyle.
Nah, I understand that these things happen. I'm just upset because I consider this a major safety issue, and it could have easily been avoided. My wife and I, and our brand new trailer and truck, could have been involved in a major accident because of this.

Build and travel blog
Old 10-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
jshupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Since they screwed up they should send a road crew out to fix it, many rv dealer have mobile repair vans. As for mpg, I am sure the the situation had something to do with it but also the Hideout is a more flat front trailer I believe plus going 70 will lead to lower gas mileage. Be careful as most rv tires are only rated at 65 mph. Good luck
Absolutely. I'm only expecting about 10mpg, based on what I've read from other RVers on various forums. As for the tires, I wasn't aware of that and assumed 70 would be the highest safe speed, but I'll tune it down to 65 in the future. Even with the issues, the trailer pulled pretty well, just not exactly as I expected. I definitely won't be moving it far, if at all, myself with the disconnected leaf.

Build and travel blog
Old 10-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Good! I totally understand and agree with you. I hope it get fixed in a timely fashion so you can go camping.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote