Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
vampress_me

Are these warranty issues?

Hi everyone. I take our 5'er in in a couple of weeks for its short list of warranty issues, and I'm wondering if these are things that are normal or worth mentioning.

1) shower wand/base - the shower wand leaks a decent stream of water at its head when the button is pushed to shut off the water. Also, when the button is pushed to the "off" position, the connection between the wand's hose and the base with the hot and cold knobs shoots water out. I've tried to tighten it, is makes no difference. So, are these normal leaks? And, I'm happy with this shower head flow, so i don't really want to replace it with an aftermarket one, just want to know if these are normal leaks since this is our first camper and don't have anything to compare it to.

2) Our roof. Was up on the roof last weekend to clean/ inspect it and found that at each OSB joint, the roofing isn't adhered and bubbling up. One of the joints (first one back from the front cap), the OSB has a gap of about 3/8" between the sheets that you can feel through the bubble of not-adhered roofing. The roofing itself is in one piece, no cracking or tears, but the OSB gap worries me because I don't know what is below it that it should be attached to width-wise and whether it is attached securely. I took pictures of the roof, the first showing the bubbled joints in general, the second the specific joint that has a gap, and third, my fingers pushing down in the gap of the OSB. Should this be turned in under warranty? Or is it normal and I should just watch it?

Sorry for the roof question on top of everyone else's bad roof stories…

I forgot to mention that the 3/8" gap in OSB does go all the way across the camper, it's not just a small section with a gap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loose EPDM.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	6702   Click image for larger version

Name:	plywd separation.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	6703   Click image for larger version

Name:	plywd space.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	6704  

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Here is how I treat identifying issues during a warranty period. If it is something that I do not feel is normal in my eyes I add it to the list. I request the dealer to address each item on the list as either a issue needing fixed or "Not an issue". That way I have documentation in the event something comes up down the road.

I would put your two issues on the list, my two cents.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
rjsurfer

I had the same bubbling on my 08 Cougar and it hasn't gotten any worse over time. The bubbles seem to move around a bit year to year but never get to the point of being a problem.

The guys that layed the roof down at the factory either didn't clean the roof of dust and dirt or didn't use enough glue.

I would mention it to the dealer and get it written down somewhere in case it gets worse later on and you have to place a claim.

Ron W
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Your bubbles are from air, difficult to get a roof that large laid down perfectly without a few air bubbles. Ever try to put a screen protector on your phone? Doesn't hurt to add everything and anything you find to a warranty claim. They'll either fix it or they won't. I even put burnt out light bulbs down and they change them. Of course I don't haul the rv to the dealer for that, but I have stopped by when in the area to grab a couple. Doesn't hurt to ask, money is better in my pocket than theirs

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

I would say that a small amount of water could be normal but, you could try taking those parts off and wrap the threads with plastic thread tape and put back together tight. Thats what I would do.
Regarding the roof, someone please correct me if I am wrong on this. I believe the rubber roof is a sheet that lays down on the top and is only attached around edges and vents etc. I was at the artic fox factory and watched/seen each step of a build in about 2008. Thats what I remember. The 2 rvs I have had each roof look that that at times. Sometimes when checked it would look perfect so, I think hot/cold temps change the look (tighest) of the rubber. Finally get an expert opinion from the dealer on the roof just in case.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:59 AM   #6
gearhead

I'm not sure on RV roofs, but on home roofs the roof decking is installed with a gap between each 4' x 8' sheet. But not 3/8". That sounds big, but may be standard on RV roofs. I would definitely get it documented at your dealership.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
Bob Landry

The roof would concern me more than anything else since that protects everything else. If air can get in so can water.
I also thought that the sheet of roof material was one piece and secured along the edges. I would ask about that for certain.

In the interest of protecting everything, I would have the dealer fix the roof issue. That can't be a very expensive repair relative to the damage it can potentially cause left unaddressed.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
vampress_me

Thanks everyone! Based on the replies, the roof issue is definitely going to be mentioned to the dealer next week. I guess I would rather mention it and if it needs fixing, have it fixed under warranty. And, this way, I can find out by asking the dealer what the roof structure is underneath the sheathing, just to satisfy my own curiosity about how well the OSB is secured with a gap like that.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Here is a picture of the OSB roof sheeting on the Cougar fifth wheel. If you notice, it's 4x9 sheets of 3/8" OSB laid side to side with a putty caulking between the sheets and over every truss (where there are staples) to keep it smooth. These are then covered with adhesive and the roofing is laid on top, rolled to adhere and then, once dry, the edges are trimmed and molding is applied to secure it to the side walls.

The gaps you've got aren't "normal" but I'm not sure that they really make a heck of a lot of difference in roof membrane durability or waterproof status. All that said, and picture studied, I'd still make darned sure the dealer is notified, pictures taken and his "written report" of the roof structure as "normal" or "requires maintenance/reapplication" is documented for future reference.

The roof membrane is warrantied by DICOR for 12 years to the "ORIGINAL OWNER" (it is not transferrable), so in the future, if there is an issue and you have the documentation from the dealer, it may help you with any claims against the membrane leaking.

document, Document, DOCUMENT !!!!!

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COUGAR OSB ROOF SHEETING.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	6716  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
therink

I have the same side to side bubbles at the sheathing seams. They are not bad and do not concern me. I have seen them on many roofs. Keystone and the dealer will likely say they are normal. It wouldn't hurt to have your concern ddocumented in the event it is a defect and gets worse over time.
As far as shower head leaking I would just tape the threads with Teflon tape. Not something I would have my dealer fix.
I replaced my shower head with an oxygenics a year.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
vampress_me

John,
Thank you for the picture and the description of what the roof consists of and construction. The structural engineer in me likes to know the construction of a "house" of ours.

My best guess off your description and my feeling around is that the caulking/ putty step got missed on ours because if the OSB is 3/8" thick, that's about how far down I can easily push the roof membrane in the crack. That also tells me I am definitely going to bring it up next week and get it documented because if the edges of the OSB wear a hole in the membrane from rubbing or a snag on an edge of sliver of OSB, I want a record of it. Unfortunately, if that does happen, it will probably be outside Keystone's 1 year warranty and the roof manufacturer would just call it poor installation, not their defect, which would be true.

Oh well. Not going to worry about it now, supposed to be a good weekend for camping here and our weekend started tonight!