Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #21
Broose0

The first time this occurred the cuts were only around the front a/c. After the dealer repair both front and rear a/cs were cutting the roof. I still think there should be bubbles in the roof if the adhesive was failing and there isn't any bubbles. That makes be believe it's the a/cs or the installation process.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
2014 Polaris Rzr 1000
Broose0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:42 AM   #22
tileman

I had my roof replaced after we made a short camping trip to Ga then back home. I got up on the roof to give it a cleaning and boom there it was a cut around my AC.

So I posted a few pics here and then off to the dealer they kept it for over
3 weeks and installed a new roof they said it was from when they installed the
AC at the manufacturing plant.

Here's a link to my old post.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7832

Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #23
Bob Landry

We can continue to go back and forth on this, and I think we have all made all the comments we can intelligentlymake based on a photograph, however, the reality is that there are hundreds of thousands of these AC units, different manufacturers, same basic design, and all installed the same way, that have been in use for years and this is the first I've read of any incident of this type.
This is an installation problem going back to manufacturing. The dealer repaired the roof without diagnosing the cause and re-created the problem.
Personally, I would get another "eyes on" opinion from a different shop, as the repairing dealer obviously missed this or simply chose to accept the factory installation to be correct. There just simply isn't anything on or about these units that when properly installed is going to cause that kind of roof damage. To go back to the same shop with the same problem, talking to the same people and expecting a different answer is going to be the ultimate exercise in futility.

One thing that I have not mentioned, nor has anyone else, is that the gasket material is i" thick, as well as any strips that may be included. With a new gasket properly installed, and the unit(s) correctly installed, the air conditioner is resting on a foam cushion, not even touching the roof

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #24
Broose0

Update
Talked with dealer today and the new roof rubber is on. They indicated that it was failure of the adhesive and the roof was billowing up. This roof actually has attic vents on the roof that when traveling down the road air was coming in the attic vents and coming up under the roof and through the sheathing seams and then up under the rubber. I'll be checking it on my next trip and will keep you updated. Thank you for all your responses.
2014 Polaris Rzr 1000
Broose0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #25
Canam

I am having the same problem with my Fuzion 310. I first thought it was a problem with the A/C unit and install at manufacturing. I have the same cut around the front A/C unit, and I fixed it with a small patch. However after another camping trip I found the identical tear through the patch. I thought the roof may be ballooning up when at highway speeds, and I installed a Camera on the roof to investigate(see you tube video). The black tape beside the A/C unit is where the cut is and you can see the roof ballooning up and rubbing the material against the A/C unit. I am in the process of getting the roof material glued back down and I am hoping keystone will help out with the cost. (I am out of warranty by 1 month)

http://youtu.be/FAmoXaU1Xrc
Canam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:54 PM   #26
Timon

If that's what's happening the it's a manufacturing defect and they should back it even if it's a month or 6 months out of warranty. As a prospective buyer I'll be watching this thread closely.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:20 AM   #27
Bob Landry

After looking at the photos in this post and the ones in the original post, it looks as though the AC gasket may have been glued to the roof and possibly the up and down bouncing action of the AC, possibly not snugged down properly may have lifted the roof material enough and often enough to cause it to fail.
The AC gasket has an adhesive on one side that gets stuck to the bottom of the AC and just sets down around the opening with no adhesive. Another interesting point is that in both instances, the tear appears to be identical with the edge of some thick material showing, like possibly the plywood roof material wasn't properly fastened.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #28
Canam

Just got my TH back from repair and keystone replaced the entire roof and substructure. My repair shop sent in a request for warranty (I was out by one month) and was going to patch the roof while waiting for a response. In the middle of the patch repair, keystone called and wanted to replace the roof under 'good will' warranty. After they removed the entire roof, they replaced the substructure and covered with EPDM. It is not as white and textured as the superflex material was, but hopefully the glue will hold the EPDM better than before.
Canam is offline   Reply With Quote