Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #21
cookie1951

check list check twice

We just purchased a Raptor toy hauler in MI. WE pick it up this Friday and I have a check list I plan to go over myself before pulling this RV out of the dealership. We traveled 650 miles to get the camper of our dream and I hope we are as pleased as others with the Keystone product. I'm sure it must take a couple hours to complete the task. I believe the dealership will have everything up and running so my husband can take it down with the help of an experienced person. This will be our third trip down and hopefully our last. We are first time RV owners.
cookie1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #22
Festus2
Site Team

Some dealerships will have all the systems ready for you to see first hand and others will not. Will the dealership:
1) have water in the fresh water tank so you can check the operation of the pump and that system?
2) have water in the Hot Water heater?
3) have it hooked up to a city water supply?
4) have the unit plugged into shore power?
4) have the propane tanks filled; turn the stove/furnace/Fridge and HW tank on for you?
5) have the fridge working?

6) show you how to work all the remotes for the awning and other items operated by remote?
7) show you where the converter and water pump are?
8) show you where the manual override to the slides is located?

I would suggest that you have a look in the Keystone Questions section of the forum, read through and download the pre-delivery inspection checklist and take it with you when you do your walk through.

Don't assume anything. And make sure you don't drive off the lot with it until everything is in working order, any scratches or any other items that need repairing or replacing are going to be fixed or replaced and set a date for completion of those items.

Take your time, be thorough and don't sign anything until you are satisfied!

Good luck!!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

I am allotted 2.5 hrs for a "walk through". Not knowing the dealers policy, I can't say but I would at least call them a couple of days prior to schedule a block of time that is satisfactory to both.

If you have the PDI list available here, I would figure about 4 hrs to check everything. With that in mind, start EARLY in the day. Hopefully the dealer has completed a PDI and your walk through is a breeze. Have fun !!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #24
Barbell

Our complaint is not with the trailer itself but with the dealers we have encountered. Today, I called three different dealers in Grand Junction, Colorado and got the same response from all three. We have a minor warranty issue that should be easy to diagnose/fix. The first question was "did you buy the unit from us?" We are traveling cross-country roughly 1500 miles from where we purchased the unit. When they heard that, the uniform response was that they don't do any warranty work unless they sold the unit. When we called Keystone, they insisted that their dealers were not allowed to do that, but they also stated that if forced to deal with a warranty issue on a unit they did not sell, the dealer will likely schedule you in two weeks to 30 days down the road, well knowing that if you are traveling, you are not going to wait around for that long. Why Keystone would keep these dealers is beyond me.
Our experience with various Camping World outlets was completely different. The Charleston and Columbia, SC and Tucson, AZ stores immediately scheduled us and fixed our problem under warranty with no questions.
Our unit was purchased in Indiana even though we live in Arizona. No dealer in Arizona, California or Colorado could come within $5000 of the price we paid in Indiana. So far as we are concerned, no Keystone dealer other than Camping World will ever have any of our business.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:41 AM   #25
{tpc}

cookie, I don't know what dealer you are working with, but as been said above, I would try and schedule it for the earliest you can in the morning, especially if on a weekend day. This way they may have time to correct issues that come up that are correctable. You will want to ask all the questions festus listed ahead of time, so that the dealer will know what to expect when you get there. Hopefully things go smooth for you.

Barbell, the description of how dealers act with regards to warranty seems to be the norm. I agree that it shouldn't be but I've heard it time and time again. In fact when working with my dealer, they specifically said so prior to purchase. Originally we had been working with a dealer out of ohio, who was giving us the price we wanted for the unit. I ended up calling a local dealer to compare prices, they were higher at first but then ended up giving us the same deal as the one in ohio, and I didn't have to deal with the tax or plating issues I would have, as well as the warranty issue. Our local dealer was about 10 minutes away, so the choice was easy. I never thought they could come close to the price I was getting, so calling them was just on a whim.

But they specifically said that had I bought it elsewhere, I would have issues getting them to service it. Glad to hear that CW has helped you out though. For me the closest CW is over an hour away.

I think most of the dealers that act this way will eventually acquiesce to doing warranty work, but only after they give significant amount of pushback. Then you drop it off and it sits for 6 months before they get to it.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #26
ozkamper

Exclamation Before you blast someone with Keystone RV problems, think

Hi All,

Yes we bought our TT very quickly and yes we didn't look it over quite as well as we should of.

But most of the problems we found happened on our first and then nearly every outing since. And we can blame it on poor workmanship and totally lack of quality control at the Keystone factory where our 2014 Premier Bullet was made.

Our last outing, went to run up the antenna and it literally fell apart in my husband's hands. We had ran it up twice before with no problems. There was no set screw to hold it in place and it was crooked. My husband fixed it that day and fixed it properly.

I find it amazing that all the problems we have had with construction in our 2014 have been re-designed in the 2015. Perhaps Keystone had too many complaints with the trailer.

Not every problem is noticeable on pre-delivery inspections. I don't care how long you spend things happen.

What I do know is that we have had over a dozen RV's in the past 35 years and have NEVER had as much problem with a trailer as we have had with this Bullet. We have had trailers that never went back to the dealer for any problem. Most of our trailers have been brand new.

What I also know is this, we will never ever buy another Keystone product. We will make this trailer work, we will fix everything we possibly can by ourselves. A shelving unit should not collapse under the weight over 2 toilet rolls going down the road in Kentucky. The dinette drawer should not fall apart the fifth time you pull it out, etc. True we didn't notice the crack in the stainless steel sink. But like I said, you do miss things.

Ozkamper
ozkamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:41 AM   #27
Dave in Va

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkamper View Post
Hi All,

Yes we bought our TT very quickly and yes we didn't look it over quite as well as we should of.

But most of the problems we found happened on our first and then nearly every outing since. And we can blame it on poor workmanship and totally lack of quality control at the Keystone factory where our 2014 Premier Bullet was made.

Our last outing, went to run up the antenna and it literally fell apart in my husband's hands. We had ran it up twice before with no problems. There was no set screw to hold it in place and it was crooked. My husband fixed it that day and fixed it properly.

I find it amazing that all the problems we have had with construction in our 2014 have been re-designed in the 2015. Perhaps Keystone had too many complaints with the trailer.

Not every problem is noticeable on pre-delivery inspections. I don't care how long you spend things happen.

What I do know is that we have had over a dozen RV's in the past 35 years and have NEVER had as much problem with a trailer as we have had with this Bullet. We have had trailers that never went back to the dealer for any problem. Most of our trailers have been brand new.

What I also know is this, we will never ever buy another Keystone product. We will make this trailer work, we will fix everything we possibly can by ourselves. A shelving unit should not collapse under the weight over 2 toilet rolls going down the road in Kentucky. The dinette drawer should not fall apart the fifth time you pull it out, etc. True we didn't notice the crack in the stainless steel sink. But like I said, you do miss things.

Ozkamper
Curious about what has been redesigned between the 2 years? What model Bullet do you have?

"Knowledge is good" -- Emil Faber

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091 -- The Champagne of Ships

Dave in Va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #28
mazboy123

new trailer

I would assume you purchased it at lakeshore rv... they will go over stuff but not really in depth. you need to know what to ask.

did you say you travel 3 times each time at 650 miles? boy, you must of gotten a heck of a deal.

I would hope you have a dealer near you who will correct the problems that you will find over the one year warranty period. and you will have issues that need to be corrected.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #29
pmedic433

IMHO they all have issues, our first a Forrest river Wolfpack 19WP had some small issues. I did have to call the dealership to ask how to dewinterize it.(The PDI was so poor, I knew more than the "tech" did!) With our current Cougar 326SRX I had the PDI from this site printed out. Our dealership had it all set up, and allowed us to spend the night and next morning checking it out. And I took full advantage! The dealership took care of the small stuff that I had found and I had no further issues. My next purchase will be from the same dealership or one that will allow us to spend the day hooked up on site to go thru everything.
pmedic433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #30
Bigg-limo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwohlford View Post
Hello, My name is Martin W. and my wife and I recently purchased a 2015 Keystone SG 303. the day we looked at it in the lot it seemed fine but now we are discovering numerous problems with this model and in my eyes it is a reflection of the overall quality of all of Keystones products for the 2015 model year. we have drawers that were not properly aligned to the catches. we have sections of wallpaper starting to peel off or bubble, the design will not allow for the use of all electric service while in a park because between the AC, water heater, refrigerator, second refrigerator that is all electric and came standard I am using all 30 Amps and tripping breakers on the RV Parks connector 2 to 3 times a day I have finally solved this problem by putting my water hearer into gas mode only. We were supposed to have received a 50 amp model and all of keystones paperwork indicated this was a 50 Amp model but the connection is 30 AMP and so is the breaker in the box this is going to be rectified through the dealership that we purchased the RV from however it will cost us time and money to fix. just to get to the dealership and return to our current place of residence is going to cost about $400. in gas and 9 hours of driving time. this does not include the time it will take to transfer our items from one trailer to the other. the pro side the trailer pulls fine with my 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 8.0 liter V10.
It is my recommendation to avoid the Keystone 2015 model year trailers until they fix the quality of what is coming out of there factories. Oh how I wish the Japanese made travel trailers for sale in the US Im certain they would be less expensive and better quality.
Hope you don't mind me riding shotgun.
Bigg-limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

This reply is a little late for this but I would encourage anyone that is going to buy a new RV to do what I did.

Prior to buying the RV I asked to meet the service manager. I introduced myself, explained the way I am (impatient, high expectations etc.) and how I expected the purchase, inspection, followup and general condition of the RV to be.

As we progressed into the sale and I agreed to buy the RV I sent the service manager the PDI list from this site (several pages) asked him to review it, complete it on the RV, make notes on what he found etc. I advised him that when I came to sign the papers I wanted a walk thru with that list, which I also took, and we would cover all of it again. He did and the only issues I've had are things that have been flukes that weren't, and couldn't have been, covered. Just saying that time spent up front making the dealership do what they should do (and most probably won't without your intervention) will save you a lot down the road.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #32
therink

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This reply is a little late for this but I would encourage anyone that is going to buy a new RV to do what I did.

Prior to buying the RV I asked to meet the service manager. I introduced myself, explained the way I am (impatient, high expectations etc.) and how I expected the purchase, inspection, followup and general condition of the RV to be.

As we progressed into the sale and I agreed to buy the RV I sent the service manager the PDI list from this site (several pages) asked him to review it, complete it on the RV, make notes on what he found etc. I advised him that when I came to sign the papers I wanted a walk thru with that list, which I also took, and we would cover all of it again. He did and the only issues I've had are things that have been flukes that weren't, and couldn't have been, covered. Just saying that time spent up front making the dealership do what they should do (and most probably won't without your intervention) will save you a lot down the road.
I did the exact same thing on the last 2 units I bought. The service dept now runs the other way when they see me coming.
I learned the hard way that this is the only way to do it.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
the service dept now runs the other way when they see me coming.
Surely you jest. If that is true, your using the wrong dealer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #34
Steve S

So 2 posts from this guy and it turned in to a complaint thread
It kind of makes me think that people do this just for fun
Old 10-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #35
therink

I'm happy with my Keystone and was also with my last one. It's my dealer that I have to micromanage. No complaints here.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Steve S

I hope you aren't referring to me and a "complaint thread". The OP had problems with delivery. I posted what saved me a lot of issues and hope that it will help others in the future. Is that a "complaint thread"?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #37
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Steve S

I hope you aren't referring to me and a "complaint thread". The OP had problems with delivery. I posted what saved me a lot of issues and hope that it will help others in the future. Is that a "complaint thread"?
No I was actually saying that there's been a few too many threads started by new users that post once and never reply even though there's pages of great advice
Old 10-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks Steve S. I was trying to figure out how my post was a complaint and couldn't get it.....now I feel better!
Old 10-31-2014, 06:17 PM   #39
Annaoinga

Great info

I'm glad I read all this - some great advice and I copied the PDI checklist. I also like the one that spent the night in the camper testing it first. We are buying a used 2012 Alpine 3450RL so I'm happy to get this info before our purchase!!

So glad I found you guys!

Anna
Annaoinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #40
Ol'Soldier

It is A Learning Experience with An Expensive Curve

After much talk, the DW (That’s dependent wife in the military, not the other names) and I decided to purchase a TV and a TT. Her parents had a long history of every type of RV possible.

We spent a lot of time online conducting research of both new and used TT’s which were posted for sale throughout the United States. We had already purchased our TV and knew that we wanted to keep the tow weight to about two-thirds of the unit’s capability.

Knowing what we wanted in the TT and the basic layout which was a compromise based on the TV limitations, we finally settled on either a Dutchman or a Summerland with Dutchman as our first choice. Unfortunately, we could not find either south of the Mason Dixon line. When we checked on the Dutchman in Iowa, it was pending sale. We found the Summerland in Wisconsin at the best price even though other units existed east of the Mississippi.

Since we purchased the unit by phone based on the online listing at the dealership, we did not see the unit in person until it arrived at our house. Yes, we paid for shipping from Wisconsin to Texas. Don’t know who at Keystone authorized shipment of the unit, but it would not have passed my QA inspection. The dealership also did absolutely nothing to prepare the unit for deliver to the customer. I received a dirty (inside and out) unit with many cosmetic warranty issues inside the unit. The dealership did not list in narrative form the included standard and optional accessories in the unit. When it arrived, the unit was not as depicted in the dealership’s online pictorial presentation. It was of another unit. The dealership agreed to fill the propane tanks, provide a battery, install an electric coupler jack, and install a 24” HD color TV. Their area dealership installed the items and billed the up country dealership. As to the cosmetic warranty issues, I sent photos and description of the issues to the area dealership and waited three weeks for the appointment. Upon arrival at the dealership, I found out they had not bothered to obtain approval from Keystone prior to my appointment. All but the replacement of one set of blinds was accomplished. We are still waiting for that set of blinds.

Both RV manufacturers and dealers have a long way to go to arrive at the level of professionalism of the major auto dealers. The RV industry has a waiting customer base that they don’t know how to take care of in an appropriate time and manner and who deserve far better quality and treatment than is being provided.

They need to get out of their diapers and suit up.
DHS, ICE - Retired
2014 Ford F150 XLT SC
2014 Summerland 1890
Ol'Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015, electrical, problems, quality, sg 303