Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
sloman2001

Water Pump ByPass 318SAB Cougar

Just picked up a new 10 Cougar 318SAB. Just now familiarizing myself with it. Mostly done, but did note that the unit lacks a water pump bypass valve. This makes winterizing more difficult. I plan to install a bypass valve, but the waterline hose diameter that runs from the pump to the fresh water tank, appears to be a larger type hose than the other plumbing. Has anyone installed a bypass valve in this larger type piping?

I can't believe that Keystone would leave out this bypass valve. Shame on them.
sloman2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

First, welcome to the Forum. Second, are you looking in the right place for the bypass valve? I assume you are talking about the valve that isolates your HW tank from the rest of your fresh water system so that you don't end up filling your HW tank with RV plumbing antifreeze.
On my Cougar and I would assume on all recently-built Keystone RV's, a bypass valve has been installed and, in my case, it is not near the water pump. I believe most of these valves are in close proximity to your HW tank. Mine is more or less in a direct line with it - but on the inside of course. There is a panel - held there by 4 screws - that I remove and the valve is right behind this panel. Turn it to the upright/vertical position and your HW tank is then isolated.
Somehow, I can't imagine an RV built today that is lacking this valve or valves. (Some RV's have more than one). If, after you have tried tracking it down and a conducting a thorough search, it still can't be found, then you might try asking for some assistance on this forum. Again, I don't think that you need to install one - it is there - somewhere.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
Terrydactile

Are you talking about a valve in that line so you can choose to suck antifreeze out of a jug instead of the fresh tank? If so my Keystone does not have one either. I just disconnect the fresh hose and stick it in the jug. I really should install a valve.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Winterizing valves that connect to the inlet side of the water pump are not standard equipment but are inexpensive and easy to install and available at CW and all RV dealers. The WH bypass is standard on most trailers and is generally located in the fittings on the side of the heater itself. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

As Hankpage pointed out, these "winterizing valves on the inlet side of the pump" are not usually found in RV's and you can buy kits that are easily installed. From your post, I wasn't quite sure which valves you were referring to. Keystone is not alone in not providing them as standard equipment.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
sloman2001

Thanks for the replies. Just for clarification, I do have a bypass valve for the WH. I can see it when I remove the screws for the access panel. Yes, this is probably standard. I had one on my last rig. But this is not what I was inquiring about. I was asking about a bypass valve from the water pump to the fresh water tank.

What I didn't realize is that a bypass valve from the water pump to the fresh water tank, allowing you to "suck in" anti-freeze instead of fresh water, was not standard. That is the bypass valve I was originally inquiring about.

I can install a bypass valve there, my problem is getting one really. The outside diameter (OD) of the fresh water hose in my rig is 3/4" as opposed to the normal 5/8" OD. I just picked up a regular bypass valve today, but it doesn't fit because it is for a 5/8 OD. I need to find a different sized one. I guess I'll have to go to the dealer.

For what ever reason the 2010 Cougar (not sure of other years) uses larger diameter piping (3/4" OD) for the fresh water supply ONLY. In all other areas, it uses a 5/8 OD. The fresh water pipe is a plastic re-inforced pipe, not sure why.

IMO, this bypass valve really should be a standard.
sloman2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloman2001 View Post

IMO, this bypass valve really should be a standard.

People who live and camp in warm climates don't have to winterize and many people prefer to use low point drains and blow out lines. I have installed these valves in all my trailers and the kits came with fittings for all size hoses. The only use for this valve is to pump antifreeze into the fresh water system. If you purchase a kit for RV use it should have the correct fittings for different brand pumps and hose sizes. This has been my experience anyway.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
Firecapt

The problem with winterizing is that you have to completely purge all water lines and pipes of all water or suffer the consequences. I have used the air pressure blowout method in the past, but that doesn't purge the water in the pump and pressure dome (an add-on I installed).

In addition there is the water left in the "P" traps on all of your drains and don't forget the outside shower. What about the ice maker if you have one or your water filter. You must drain the water heater and if installing antifreeze switch the bypass valve so that you don't waste antifreeze by filling up the WH.

You get the point, it is hard to be 100% sure that you have removed or replaced with antifreeze all of the possible freeze points on your coach.

PLEASE BELIEVE that you must be diligent in doing this process because if you miss something, it can be devastating and costly.

If you need further advice or guidance please ask!!

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Yes, I have had a few close calls..... leaving it too late for one but was fortunate enough not to have suffered the consequences. Prior to getting our Cougar in '08, we had never had any exterior taps - washdowns so the winterizing was an interior job. Last winter, I almost forgot about the outside taps and just caught that in time before things turned bitterly cold. Also have to ensure the toilet flap/seal is coated with antifreeze as it normally is coated with water.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #10
Steersall4

My 04 cougar (285efs) has factory installed BOTH the one for the water heater is on the cold water 'IN' line. I can't imagine bypass's not installed in recent years either. I know several with keystone products have them too!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #11
linebiker

Looked over my rig this weekend looking for a pre existing point to use to draw antifreeze through pump. Saw none. Seems to me would I have to remove the covering 'for lack of proper word' under trailer to add this new point somewhere near water tank inlet I take. Input anyone?

Did my winterizing by adding 4 gallons of antifreeze in tank and pumping it. My thoughts were use xtra so pump would pick up then drain and reuse left over for next time. Well, only got about a quart out. Low and behold all of tank does not naturally drain to the drainage line. When I took unit in for warranty work on leaky drain line dealer said he dumped about two gallons of antifreeze out. That was my clue I need to add antifreeze another way.

08 Raptor 299
06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Lone Star
B&W Companion 5th
linebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #12
Steersall4

not sure who/when this will be seen but I will add this anyway. the By pass for the pump should be Right at the pump. on the outside of the pump normally a brass valve. should have a brass cap on top. one turns the valve so it closes it. unscrew the cap, screw on a fitting that has a peice of plastic hose long enough to place in the antifreeze jug. make sure all faucets are shut, turn pump on. it will run and suck alot of the antifreeze out of the jug then shut off. open one faucet at a time. start with the one the furtherest from the pump. as each pumps out "pink' close that one and open another. repeat the comoode,shower and if there is an outside shower also. once you get some anitfreeze out of each one, and some down all the traps and you will any way, your all done ! I can winterize my cougar in less than 10 minutes NOT including the time for the water heater to drain N be bypassed(FIRST). There is simply NO need to do anything from under the trailer. Unwinterize? just put on water pressure and /or fill fresh water tank. UN bypass and thats it! use. RV antifreeze is not toxic but it just don't taste good and ofcourse you wouldn't want much of it. ooooH yea it'll take a lot of water to get rid of the antifreeze taste if ya put it in the fresh water tank ! but I am sure that'd work! with water heater drained and by passed, it only takes one gallon to do my cougar.
I don't know why some come with the byPass's from the factory and others must not!
Old 11-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
linebiker

Just put in a new valve to bypass fresh water holding tank and pull from jug. Stopped by a local RV dealer and so happend a mechanic waited on me, I asked what other options they had other than the diverter valve that attaches to pump. (My pump is difficult to reach so I wanted to splice into suction line and locate valve close to access panel) He suggested the same plastic valve found on hot water heater by pass situations. Just loose and toss the threaded rings that hold plastic water lines, push on the (in my case 1/2 inch ID reinforced nylon tubing) fasten with proper size radiator clamps (worm gear type), pick up some more 1/2 ID tubing that will not collaspe with suction for jug. Yer good to go. Yes the valve is not designed for this tubing but works fine. Cost of valve at camper dealer $14.00 + tax, tubing $0.89 per ft at local hardware store.

08 Raptor 299
B&W Companion 5th
Old 12-09-2009, 07:12 AM   #14
RVokie

My '09 cougar 276rls does not have the water pump inlet bypass as well. However, my pump uses the o-ring type fittings, which are secured by a clevis, which makes it extremely easy to disconnect the inlet. For $1.50, I bought a new 90 degree barbed inlet fitting, and a couple feet of clear tubing. I just disconnect the fresh water tank hose, substitute my "winterizing connector", stick the tubing in a RV anti-freeze jug and I'm ready to go. When I'm finished I just reconnect the fresh water tank line, and leave my winterizing plumbing coiled on the floor near the pump. About as simple as it gets!
RVokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #15
linebiker

About as simple as it gets!
Simple is good!

08 Raptor 299
B&W Companion 5th
Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #16
Johnnyfry

WP Bypass

Linebiker had the best idea yet. My 318SAB has the same set up. I purchased a 3 way valve set up from Camping World and found that it did not really fit because of the fitting on the pump.

I have not had any luck locating replacement fittings for this pump so that I can make such a conversion.

Any ideas about where to get Sureflo fittings?

Thanks
John Freitag
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:43 AM   #17
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
Linebiker had the best idea yet. My 318SAB has the same set up. I purchased a 3 way valve set up from Camping World and found that it did not really fit because of the fitting on the pump.

I have not had any luck locating replacement fittings for this pump so that I can make such a conversion.

Any ideas about where to get Sureflo fittings?

Thanks
John Freitag
I also installed a bypass valve this winter on my Cougar. I looked into buying the fittings from McMaster-Carr. They sell the bayonet type fittings that you need, to allow the bypass valve to mate to the water pump. Here is the link, if you care to add the valve this way. http://www.mcmaster.com/#
I ended up buying some hose barb fittings from Ace hardware and hose clamps along with some unions. I then cut the water hose from the fresh water tank to the pump about 6 "from the pump. I installed all of this hardware and the bypass valve. Worked great when I winterized this year.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #18
Johnnyfry

McMaster Carr link

Thank you for the link. It will come in handy,
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote