Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
reubenray

Unbreakable and Microwaveable Dinnerware?

Where can we get unbreakable yet microwave usable dinnerware? These will stay in the Cougar.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
ksfis43

Check out Corelle glass dinnerware

http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/corelle/about-corelle

2011 Passport 280BH LE
2009 Dodge Ram 1500
ksfis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
geo

Reubanray -

Great lead in! OK, remember the old TV show ALF with the Muppet Alien Life Form? ALF came from the Planet Melmac, and that is where you need to go!

Back in the 60s, Melmac dinnerware became all the rage! Unbreakable, if you were rich and had an Amana RadarRange (microwave), you could put Melmac in it, etc. By about '65, the trend turned to Corelle Ware (can break into 10,000 tiny shards!). You can still get Melmac today at WalMart, CW, Amazon, and others E-tailers, just do a search. And if you get tired of the design, just get the handy Dremel tool out and be creative!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Reubanray -

Great lead in! OK, remember the old TV show ALF with the Muppet Alien Life Form? ALF came from the Planet Melmac, and that is where you need to go!

Back in the 60s, Melmac dinnerware became all the rage! Unbreakable, if you were rich and had an Amana RadarRange (microwave), you could put Melmac in it, etc. By about '65, the trend turned to Corelle Ware (can break into 10,000 tiny shards!). You can still get Melmac today at WalMart, CW, Amazon, and others E-tailers, just do a search. And if you get tired of the design, just get the handy Dremel tool out and be creative!

Ron
Unfortunately, most of the melmac or melamine that is sold today is marked right on the bottom that it is not for microwave use. It's too bad because there are seasonal offerings from Target and others with really neat patterns. We have two seasonal sets plus a much older set of HD restaurant grade melamine in the trailer. Great stuff.

But for microwaving, we also have a few Corelle plates and some of the Corelle storage/microwave/oven bowls with Pyrex lids.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

We use mostly Corelle, they are pretty tough but will break if you try real hard. We haven't broken a dish in the trailer in eighteen years of trailer camping. For outside use we still have our old Melmac we got for a wedding gift. Those white plates with big black flowers are ageless. ...... Ron, Do you really remember the 60's or are you going by what others have told you like I am.

Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
geo

Very cruel!

Hank -

I have somehow come to accept that my memories are better left with the words, "Someone told me about . . . ". And from a few other of my posts, you know I am cursed with this memory thing. So, being the type to play into the spirit of the moment, I will say this, though not a very early memory - "Dave Garoway, the chimp, and a very young Barbara Walters", "Sargent Preston of the Mounties", Edsels, Packards, five window Ford pickups, somone stealing my "Captain Midnight Ovaltine Mug" out of our parked car in Enid, watching the Rock Island passenger train (full speed) grab the local mail bag with a hook, Eisenhower's second inaugaruation, the Eniac and Maniac Computers with glass tubes (when bugs were actually moths inside the computers that shorted the electrodes on the tube holders, so "debugging" meant cleaning out the dead moths under the tube holders) and to really top it off . . . Little Wolf, an old Cheyenne Indian, using sign language to purchase Lucky Strikes (unfiltered) from my father's Red & White grocery store in Seiling, OK - Little Wolf still had memories of when he was very young child of standing on a hill with his mother watching the "Great Battle" that took place below between the Native Americans and the white man's army. That "Great Battle" is known to us as "The Little Big Horn" which was the result of the massacre at Black Kettle, OK (Battle of the Wa****a).

Or, so I have been told!!!!!

Sadly,

Ron "Born during the Jurassic"

Note, the above was done at risk of starting a whole new thread, or subject category, in which to bore our "younger members"!
And come on guys, the only difference between Ouachita and Wa****a is one is Choctaw/Caddo and one is Cheyenne for "good hunting grounds"
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

My apologies to the OP but you will find that us "Fossils" have a tendency to wander off and ramble occasionally. Like Saturday mornings with Cisco and Pancho and Coco Marsh in my pewter "Hoppy" mug. (Probably another reason for my memory loss)

To get back to topic .......
Melmac will melt or scorch while Corelle just gets really hot. (Don't ask how I know this)
Old 02-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
geo

Yes, my apologies also . . . now what were we talking about?????
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Real "AEROPLANES" have PROPEDDERS <G>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
reubenray

The DW bought a 4 piece set of Corelle yesterday at Walmart for $13.44. We have plenty of coffee cups even if we break 2 a trip for many trips.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The DW bought a 4 piece set of Corelle yesterday at Walmart for $13.44. We have plenty of coffee cups even if we break 2 a trip for many trips.
Using the rubber non-skid shelf liner between plates and dishes keeps them in place and in one piece. The DW cuts the liner in different shapes to keep it interesting. (stars, circles, triangles ) Works good to keep non-stick pans from scratching too. Rear kitchen trailers are supposed to be the worst but we have no problems.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
Hunter757

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Using the rubber non-skid shelf liner between plates and dishes keeps them in place and in one piece. The DW cuts the liner in different shapes to keep it interesting. (stars, circles, triangles ) Works good to keep non-stick pans from scratching too. Rear kitchen trailers are supposed to be the worst but we have no problems.

We do the same thing with non-skid and have a rear kitchen and no problems. It is also good for keeping the canned goods from sliding around that stuff is great. We bought a big roll at costco.

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
As tough as Corelle is, we found that it is not unbreakable. One of our rear kitchen cupboards containing our dinner ware - some of which was Corelle - cups and glasses - emptied onto the floor one trip. Geo's comment about Corelle "breaking into 10,000 shards" is incorrect. It should read 100,000 shards. Our Corelle stock is now almost depleted.
Lesson learned. Our kitchen cupboard doors are now secure and dishes live in padded cells.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
Lluker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
As tough as Corelle is, we found that it is not unbreakable. One of our rear kitchen cupboards containing our dinner ware - some of which was Corelle - cups and glasses - emptied onto the floor one trip. Geo's comment about Corelle "breaking into 10,000 shards" is incorrect. It should read 100,000 shards. Our Corelle stock is now almost depleted.
Lesson learned. Our kitchen cupboard doors are now secure and dishes live in padded cells.
This is one of the most intertaining and educational topics on this forum.... I am going to go and get some of that none slip stuff for our cupboards too. New TT, new dishes and have seen Corelle do the "exploding" thing in our home and wouldn't have it in the TT.... good old melamine, but new and glass for the micro.
Lluker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lluker View Post
This is one of the most intertaining and educational topics on this forum.... I am going to go and get some of that none slip stuff for our cupboards too. New TT, new dishes and have seen Corelle do the "exploding" thing in our home and wouldn't have it in the TT.... good old melamine, but new and glass for the micro.
I think they should be called Shrapnel instead of Correle but the DW likes the pattern and the shape (Square with palm leaves) so guess what. I only had to clean up one bowl that I dropped. ....... I think I got it all.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I think they should be called Shrapnel instead of Correle but the DW likes the pattern and the shape (Square with palm leaves) so guess what. I only had to clean up one bowl that I dropped. ....... I think I got it all.
Hank, Take a set of melamine and a good band saw and you can make any of them square.... Now as for the palm leaves..... Hmmmmm

We bought a set of heavy duty melamine, the kind used on crew boats in the Gulf a "hundred years ago" and it's still in use. I can't even melt it by setting the grill or hot utensils on it... Also, haven't tried the band saw "trick" but just thought if you really REALLY want square plates, any "round one would do" <wink>

As for Corelle, I wouldn't put that in a camper on a bet. Tiny shards of glass all over everything, in the carpet and under the slide???? No thanks !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
jsmith948

Quote:
I don't know - the DW hasn't complained about her stuff moving around in the cabinets - must be my smooooth driving?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
Lluker

oooo, good name and an idea for dinner ware pattern.... "Shrapnel Camo-Green". If you got it all that's good but if you have kids or animals then they will find the one piece you miss.....
Lluker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
rhagfo

Well it is Corell for us also! Yes have broken a few, but that was the trip down Oregon 53 and we lost the Microwave that trip also! Will never take that "short cut" again!
We like to have nice dishes to serve meals on, so we will stick with nice heavy Corell!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote