Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
airforceret

Cougar Control Panel Replacement Awareness

All,

You need to make yourself aware of which fuse to pull to disable the electronic control panel in your RV.

It is no secret that Keystone (Cougars in particular) had issues with their electronic control panels that would stop working. For those of you who have replacement (other than the newer rocker switch) panels that seem to be working fine, be aware that the new problem is the switch will become active and won't shut off until the power is cutoff.

On three occasions over the past four weeks now it has occurred with two of my three slides and if you don't know how to cut the power, the slide just keeps going and going (ultimately causing undue wear and tear on the gears or cable systems) and at some point would cause the slide mechanism to just fail (or possibly worse).

So if you take your finger off the button and the slide keeps on going, you may want to be heading for the fuse box immediately!

Sorry if this is already out there and I missed it, then delete it. Just wanted to get this out there so you know and can be ready. It's not if, but more likely when... this occurs!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
Ptbranson

We have a 2014 Cougar XLite and have had the control panel replaced twice. On our recent trip the slide outs would not go in again so we used the remote. Are the fuses you refer to the 40 amp fuses which are located in the main fuse panel located in the kitchen below our stove? We do have the rocker type switches on the panel. We have never experienced it not wanting to shut off only that the slide outs will not go in or out. We have an appointment at a service center but would like to check fuses first.
Ptbranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
airforceret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptbranson View Post
We have a 2014 Cougar XLite and have had the control panel replaced twice. On our recent trip the slide outs would not go in again so we used the remote. Are the fuses you refer to the 40 amp fuses which are located in the main fuse panel located in the kitchen below our stove? We do have the rocker type switches on the panel. We have never experienced it not wanting to shut off only that the slide outs will not go in or out. We have an appointment at a service center but would like to check fuses first.
I'm not familiar with your model, but in my 280RLS it is fuse #5 that is a small automotive style fuse. If you have the rocker switches, I would not expect you to have the same problems as the electronic panels.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:46 AM   #4
lolaandrush

We didn't even make it out of the rv dealership before our new 2014 cougar panel went dead.
lolaandrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaandrush View Post
We didn't even make it out of the rv dealership before our new 2014 cougar panel went dead.
Don't leave us in suspense, did the dealership fix it? How did they deal with the issue? Things happen, it's not really the "it's broken" part that is important, rather it's the "How they made it work again" that is the "important stuff".

What's your current status and what's next?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
Ptbranson

We had the same problem as lolaandrush. We didn't make it off the dealer's lot either and the panel went out. We are now having our 4th new one installed next week. Please tell what your dealer and Keystone are doing to fix your problem.
Ptbranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
pakuma

After my panel was replaced it started doing strange things. Sensor lights going on & off, backlight flickering. I removed it myself and found the the wiring was not properly crimped. I felt the connections and they were very hot. I disconnected everything and pulled on the wires and they came out of the connectors. the problem is fixed. I have found several other connectors not properly crimped. You might want to start checking connections as that may be the problem I reported the issue to the dealer. I did not get any problems from the dealer as they no that I am an ASE Certified Master Mechanic.
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote