Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
dwolfey

Angry 2014 31BHPR Fridge Collapse and Horrible Customer Service

Family and I just purchased 2014 31BHPR in May of 2014. This is our first major purchase of an RV and I tell you that at $30+K I am not happy at all. From the manufacturer right to the dealer itself in Leduc Alberta, the customer service beyond sale is horrible!!! We have camped in the trailer 8 times in the 12 weeks we have owned it. We recently had a few issues with the trailer. First the black water handle broke off on first use.....I am no newby and did not use excessive force...I was actually just going to buy the plastic handle myself. Second we started to notice screws that were fastened crooked or loosely and in some cases missing. Thirdly, we notice trim missing and small chips everywhere in the wood paneling. Forth, we noticed when using the folding out bed in the bunk that it had rips in the seams! This all started to get uncomfortable the more we noticed after purchase! Finally, on our last outing my 7 month pregnant wife opened the fridge door to get bacon and eggs....She is not a heavy woman or an aggressive woman but the door completely fell to the ground!! This blows my mind! A $30+K trailer and the fridge door falls off. It landed on my wifes foot and everything in the door crashed to the ground! This was our last straw, we contacted the dealer immediately Monday after our trip and informed them of our problem. The dealer asked us to send pictures of the fridge and we did. We insisted that the trailer be sent to them for further service of all the little things they also need to fix! We were informed that the waiting period was almost a month! Just send the pictures and they will get the fridge fixed!! NOW for the horror! Between the service manager at the dealership and the 3 unknown managers at the manufacturer, they all decided that we caused the damage.....or they put it....incidental damage!!! The service manager calls my wife and tells her they will not fix it and that if she wants to fight it call the manufacturer! NOT only was the receptionist at the manufacturer a total ignorant individual but she refused to put my call through to any of these 3 managers voice mails! They are all on lunch I was told! I even asked for their cells or voice mail! She insisted that the dealer told them it was incidental damage.....dealer says different! We do not abuse the stuff we own and clean and maintain it on a regular. I wish I would have had more knowledge when purchasing the trailer. The walk through was quick and rushed! We missed many things with out knowing it! The manufacturer has little to no customer service. I feel like I purchased a P.O.S.! I strongly recommend anyone who purchases a new Keystone to reconsider! It seems the company is really slipping in to the toilet!! My fight continues, not one manager from either place will call me back or return phone calls! They all seem pretty busy on lunches and other stuff! I really hope someone reads this and has the balls to actually make a wrong in to a right!!
dwolfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

dwolfey,

Welcome to the forum. sorry for your problems, but there's not much anyone here can do but offer you personal experiences and suggestions on what worked for them. Keystone RV Corporation is not a member of this forum and to my knowledge does not monitor any posts here. We (the forum) are a group of owners of Keystone RV's and prospective Keystone RV purchasers.

Most owners have not had the unfortunate experiences that you've had, and quiet frankly, greater than 91% say they would buy another Keystone RV. Many of us are on our second or more Keystone product and have been quiet well satisfied with the product, the service from our dealership and from the factory (if needed).

While there are some complaints that we may be able to offer advice on how to repair or resolve, each owner is "on his own" to work with their dealership as the "customer advocate" for their problems. It sounds as if your dealership isn't quite doing their best to advocate your problems and find solutions to help you.... Remember though, there are two sides to every situation and we're only hearing what you have to say. Is it possible that you're not hearing everything the other side is saying???

Good luck in getting your RV repaired quickly and correctly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

Sorry to hear your issues. If I read this right the door fell off the fridge? if the dealer and Keystone are giving you the4 circle dance. Call the manufacturer of the fridge. Not giving Keystone a way out but they only put the unit in not assemble it. I am one of the happy owners. i have had 3 Keystones all were very good. were they perfect HECK NO!; but overall they are good. i wish you the best Keep on the dealer don't let him off the hook.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
x96mnn

In the rv industry they will just cut you off and just stop dealing with you if they feel you are unreasonable or do not want to work with them. You may feel that your right and they should be happy to have your business but the cold hard facts they are most likely to get your business again. Please keep in mind if you decide to trade at another dealer your keystone product is made by Thor which will be what 95% of the trailers you will look at will be made by under various names.

Please do not be a one post wonder, although no one here works with/for keystone you will find the best advice to get things done. We share our experience and although I need to admit you are the first I heard of that had a fridge door fall off, I am sure the other items have been talked to a few times.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
therink

Sorry to hear about your issues. It ssounds Ike your refrigerator is am isolated issue. As far as the other fit and finish issues, didn't you do a thorough inspection bbefore you signed the dotted in for $30k?
I know I found issues in the last two new Keystone I purchased but refused to sign and drive it off the lot until I was satisfied. I have been happy with both of my Keystone products.
I hope you have your issues resolved but malice will gget you nowhere with any dealer or manufacturer. Rvs are not like cars, they all have issues. It is a the nature of the industry, regardless of brand.
Please do return and let is know how you make out. This is a good forum with lots of seasoned rvers, many that have experienced your same issues.
Don't sweat the small things. If you are handy, try straightening screws your self. Bottom line is that you want many good year s of service out of your investment. Make the best of it.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Yes, you do have a few problems with your unit but of those 5 that you mentioned, you could probably fix all of them if you are a little bit handy. I realize that your unit is new and you are thinking why should I have to fix them myself. If you expect or demand either the dealer or Keystone to, don't count on it. The relationship between you, your dealer and Keystone may already be soured so there is no point in "getting tough" with Keystone. You will lose. Work on re-establishing a good relationship with your dealer. If you can't then do the repairs yourself or get them done by somebody else.

Let's have a look at these issues individually:
1) The loose, missing and crooked screws can be fixed by a) tightening the loose ones, buy some matching screws to replace those that are missing, and straighten the crooked ones or redrill and start with a new screw. Insert toothpicks and some glue into the hole and then fasten with a screw. An easy and cheap repair.

2) Black water tank handle. Go to an RV supply store, buy a new one and replace it. It's not expensive or difficult.

3) Missing trim and small chips. Try going to Home Depot or a building supply place and try to find some trim that closely matches the missing trim. OR go to your dealer or RV supply place and place an order for some. Small chips may be repaired by using a soft,coloured putty pencil which is used to fill and cover up small scratches and dents in wood. Again, a building supply place should carry these items. Not a costly item to fix.

4) Fridge door:- check the hinges at the top and bottom to see if the pins are seated properly and that the screws/bolts holding the hinge and door are tight. Use Loktite to prevent them from loosening.

5) Ripped seams in bed. Perhaps your wife can give you a hand with this. If the rips or tears are small, they might be stitched up again OR take it into an upholstery shop, to a place that builds/sells mattresses or to a seamstress and let them do it. Yes, you will have to pay for this to be done but it will be repaired.

You may have to spend some money to get these things repaired but at least when they are completed, your unit will be very usable and you can get out and enjoy it.

You may just have to bite the bullet and do the repairs yourself and be prepared to spend a little money getting them done. No sense getting into a battle with Keystone or the dealer -- things will probably go downhill - and you will be so angry that you will probably either sell it or trade it in. In either case, be prepared to lose money - more money than it will cost you to get the repairs done yourself.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

I won't make any excuses for Keystone. No one will rush me thru a sale, we spend several hours looking the trailer over that we picked and about 3 more at the PDI, I pointed out problems and they were written up with a repair date, since than found acouple more after use and dealer fixed all at that time. 9 rvs I have owned all have had problems. My neighbor who has much more money than I ever will purchased a motorhome he said was about $250,000 and it was taken back for repairs after the first time used. Sorry but, now you know never leave with a RV before you have done a complete PDI. Check your manuals and look at the refer makers warrenty, give them a call. I have had acouple bad dealers and they never got another penny from me.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:59 AM   #8
bsmith0404

Unfortunately, many of the problems you listed can easily be argued that were caused by you. Rips in a mattress, nicks in trim...from a manufacturer stand point, warranty does not cover owner abuse. I have no doubt these items existed at the time of purchase, but proving that after you have driven off the lot is impossible. Should they have been fixed before your camper was shipped? yes. Should they have been fixed by the dealer upon their initial inspection? yes. Should they have been caught during your walk through before signing on the dotted line? yes. Unfortunately, now you're stuck with them to repair yourself. AS for missing screws, these things get rattled and bounced down the highways and byways, screws will fall out.

I know it is frustrating when you drop $30k plus on an RV, but let me put that into perspective. Your RV is basically a VERY cheap house on a flatbed trailer frame. Go and buy a flatbed trailer with the same length and weight rated frame and axle set-up, you will shell out $10-15k. Now, add walls, insulation, plumbing, electrical, appliances, furniture..........I'm surprised a $30k trailer even exists anymore. The manufacturers use cheap products, quick build practices, and cut corners on quality control to keep the costs down. I'm not saying they can't do better, they could and IMO should. As mentioned earlier all RV have some problems, obviously some more than others. I've owned lower end models, mid level, and high end. I will say the fit and finish as well as materials used on the high end are much better, but you pay for that. My current Alpine had a sticker price of $90K+, but is much nicer than my old Homestead or Jayco Eagle. It still has small issues, but so did the houses I had built and they cost me $200K+.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:52 AM   #9
dankent

Well said, Allthough not comforting to you but every thing bsmith0404 just posted is bang on. Most of keystone's lineup is low to mid at best and done this way to move units out the door. Couple that with the mindset that they need to be lighter usually results in poor quality parts that will not hold up in the long run. I have learnt to accept this .. and **** happens .. I love my 333mks which i consider a mid grade at best compared to other Rv's in the family .. however i paid less then 45 grand for it. Things break, every trip it gives me a good reason to bust out a couple pints and try and resolve my issue. Hopefully you can get things fixed either by yourself or the manufacture of the fridge ... but dont get too discouraged. try and enjoy your trailer and soon an addition to the family.

Good luck.

Current:
2014 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

Sold:
2012 Keystone Sprinter 255RKS
dankent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
KYFamily

Like everyone has stated, all campers have problems. Unless it's a major problem I make all repairs myself. In 11 years of camping I've only been back to the dealer twice. Once for an air conditioner motor replacement and recently to have my booth installed, which I could have easily done myself. And trust me I'm not that handy. I usually do a pretty good job but usually break something in the process.

Latest fixes on the Avalanche which we've had less than a year.

1) Bathroom faucet leak. Went to Lowes and bought a better faucet, the pex fittings and tool and replaced it. Much better now and I have the Pex tool just in case anything else happens.

2) Fold out bed legs were not long enough to keep the bed level. Bought longer bolts and had them spot welded on the extisting adjustable feet for more length. Worked very well and now the bed it level.

3) Two way valve for the black tank rinser was bad, a very common problem. My brother had an extra one so I took it and replaced it. Very easy and quick fix.

4) Frig. front decoration wood thingy fell to the floor will opening the door. The bottom plasic fastner was broke. I ordered a new one for $7 and used a good adhesive when I stapped it back on. It's not coming off now!

I could go on but you get my point.

Good luck on getting everything resolved.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #11
GaryWT

Sorry to hear about your issues. Bottom line is the 31BHPR is a beautiful trailer, we love ours. We have had an issue or 2 with it though but we have a great dealer, have not had a reason to call Keystone, they do that and get what I need. I send a picture, they order a part, I tow out there and it gets fixed. As someone said, the fridge is just an appliance they put in, check with the fridge manufacturer on getting that fixed.

Many thing I look at is what is my time worth and is it cheaper to fix myself vs the gas it will take to bring it in. When you buy a house, there is a walk through and usually a pretty long punch list of things to fix.

Screws come loose at home and the house does not move so I cannot imagine what goes on inside the trailer as we drive down the highway and hit a pot hole or cross a bridge at 65 mph.

There are always little things to do and that is part of the adventure.

I am going to take a look at the fridge tonight just to be sure the door is tight.

Good luck and I hope it all works out so you can enjoy your beautiful trailer.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:05 AM   #12
Dave in Va

I'm in the happy group, so far.

The OP hasn't signed on since he first posted. Not interested, I guess...

"Knowledge is good" -- Emil Faber

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091 -- The Champagne of Ships

Dave in Va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:48 AM   #13
jsmith948

I'm beginning to believe that some of these "angry", "disappointed", "frustrated" and "Keystone has lost my business" posts are actually from competitors' dealers

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #14
KanTC

Jack - I hadn't thought about that, but you may be right!

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #15
Jim & DJ

Just be glad your wife did not get hurt !!!!!!!!
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #16
mazboy123

problems

from someone who has had major issues with a keystone product yours are simple issues that you can correct yourself and are not under warranty. I personally would be interested in how the frig door fell off. and even if it did I would guess that it could easily be put back on.

like stated in earlier comments, all trailers have issues.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #17
Ken / Claudia

Post #13 sums it up. I will not waste anymore time trying to help or give advice on a first time poster who writes paragraphs of their problems. If they are real or made up who knows. If real I would think they would want to discuess and follow up with their post. Thats what this site is all about.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:47 AM   #18
GaryWT

You would think they would at least come back to look and read. They might not like what people have to say but... Where was the hi how are you when they first bought.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote