Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
watsong

Cougar rv fender skirts

The plastic fender skirts on my cougar 5th wheel keep falling off anyone else have these problems. Seems like a pretty cheap product. I have had a lot of other problems but this one happens every year.

(Moderator's Note: This post originally appeared in "New Member Check In" and has been moved to a more appropriate category)
watsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Bowline

Fixed Loose Skirting

You are not alone - the plastic skirting on my Cougar trailer kept working loose while on the road. (It never fell off, though.)

I found that the sheet metal screws that hold the skirting in place repeatedly stripped out of the sheet metal backing strips that are attached to the body of the trailer. I solved the problem by placing wooden blocks next to the sheet metal strips and then re-driving the screws through the skirting, the metal strips, and then the wooden blocks. The screws are solidly anchored in the blocks so they no longer work their way out due to vibration. After several trips, they are still secure. I have found that all external screws that are not secured by sealant tend to get loose.
Bowline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #3
Jim W

I have had this issue on both of my 5er's that I have own. My solution has been to change out the self driving screw to a machine screw and lock-nut. I preferred to use this method instead of wood blocks. Unless you use redwood or ceder, the blocks will absorb water and attract insects over time.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
watsong

I have changed the screws to bolts and lock nuts, but that doesn't help the issue here is really that Keystone puts the cheapest and thinnest possible skirt on. if it was made of heavier fiberglass or even thicker plastic it would be better. Jayco has a far more superior skirt and that will be my next trailer.
watsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Jordan

Replace 'em if needed

Hey,

Just quickly reading through the forum, and if this is a consistent problem with your unit, you may want to replace to a higher quality fender.

I work at a manufacturer that produces after market rv parts & accessories, including fender skirts for many Keystone units.

A likely match on a Cougar would be our Keystone Tandem Fender Skirt FS710, but we have various other models for keystones, seen here.

The overall quality of the plastic material will more than likely solve the issue you are describing.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote