Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2024, 11:35 AM   #1
Peto

Kitchen Sink Draining to Black Water...

Hello all. New guy

Just bought a 25RDS Hideout and noticed a sticker stating the kitchen sink is drained to the black water tank... Why is this done?

I'm assuming it's a way to get additional water into the tank for flushing or it could be just convenience in construction since the sink and toilet share a common wall.

We typically only use the Kitchen Sink and Toilet with occasional use of the bath sink.

I assume this will fill up my black tank quickly requiring more frequent pump outs.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 02:48 PM   #2
jxnbbl

It depends on usage...gray tanks for us fill up faster so I'd prefer this configuration. We have a gray tank, black tank and another black tank that is for both the sink and toilet in the 1/2 bath. We use this during travel and when others stay with us. The tank that fills the most is of course the gray as it is the shower/sink/kitchen sink. Black tank #1 is the toilet only from the 'main bath' and it is the slowest to fill even though it is the toilet we use the most 'on site'
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 05:08 PM   #3
CedarCreekWoody

That will fill your black tank quickly, which I wouldn't like.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:11 AM   #4
jxnbbl

Yup now that I think of it every once in a while we stay at a place where they are "gray water hookup only". If you have to dump the black tank you have to go to the dumping station. That would be a problem with this configuration.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:24 AM   #5
dutchmensport

On the "plus" side, all that dishwashing water going into the black tank will help clean out the black tank easier!
Old 03-11-2024, 11:05 AM   #6
Peto

I do see that as a benefit. Having to dump twice as often not so much...
Old 03-11-2024, 04:46 PM   #7
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
Hello all. New guy

Just bought a 25RDS Hideout and noticed a sticker stating the kitchen sink is drained to the black water tank... Why is this done?
Is this something new? We have a 2021 25RDS and it has a separate gray tank for the kitchen sink. The front gray tank is for the shower and wash basin. The black tank is only for the toilet.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:13 AM   #8
Peto

I am a little concerned about the dish soap getting into the black tank. Is this an issues? I have some research to do.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:49 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Hello all. New guy

I'm assuming it's a way to get additional water into the tank for flushing or it could be just convenience in construction since the sink and toilet share a common wall.

We typically only use the Kitchen Sink and Toilet with occasional use of the bath sink.

I assume this will fill up my black tank quickly requiring more frequent pump outs.
I think there's a very significant difference between the 25RDS and the 25RDSWE. Your profile indicates your location as "Scottsdale, Alabama". (which would indicate an "east coast trailer". If that is true, then your trailer has TWO gray tanks. One for the galley sink and one for the bathroom shower and sink.

On the other hand, the 25RDSWE has only ONE gray tank, so, either the galley sink would drain into that gray tank or the only other choice is the black tank.

I'd recommend a simple test to determine where the galley sink drains.

1. Empty both the black tank and the gray tank.
2. Turn the galley cold water faucet on and allow about 15 gallons of water to flow into the drain.
3. Go outside, pull the BLACK TANK DRAIN VALVE and see how much waste water comes out. You can easily determine if it's a "residual drain of a cup or two" or whether there's a "substantial amount of waste water"....
4. Then pull the GRAY TANK DRAIN VALVE and see what comes out. My guess would be that if the black tank drained a significant amount, then the gray tank would only drain a negligible amount of waste water.

That should "confirm without any doubt" which tank the galley sink water drains to.

All that said, it was my understanding that the differences in east coast and west coast models was to enhance the ability to allow better camping based on "camping style" and that the west coast models contain better capacity for "off grid camping".... If that is true, and the 25RDSWE only has half the gray water capacity, then it sure looks like Keystone "failed on this one"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:51 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
Is this something new? We have a 2021 25RDS and it has a separate gray tank for the kitchen sink. The front gray tank is for the shower and wash basin. The black tank is only for the toilet.
Robert,

Your trailer is a COUGAR 25RDS. The OP's trailer is a HIDEOUT 25RDS (probably a WE configuration)....

The HIDEOUT 25RDS and 25RDSWE are a "new Hideout floorplan" for model year 2024.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 12:10 PM   #11
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think there's a very significant difference between the 25RDS and the 25RDSWE. Your profile indicates your location as "Scottsdale, Alabama". (which would indicate an "east coast trailer". If that is true, then your trailer has TWO gray tanks. One for the galley sink and one for the bathroom shower and sink.

On the other hand, the 25RDSWE has only ONE gray tank, so, either the galley sink would drain into that gray tank or the only other choice is the black tank.

All that said, it was my understanding that the differences in east coast and west coast models was to enhance the ability to allow better camping based on "camping style" and that the west coast models contain better capacity for "off grid camping".... If that is true, and the 25RDSWE only has half the gray water capacity, then it sure looks like Keystone "failed on this one"....

It does make sense when you look at the freshwater tank and trying to keep the weights in some range for travel and have some type of ratio of 'waste water storage'. So you have 40% more waste tank capacity vs the freshwater with the west version and about 120 pounds of extra travel storage vs the east coast.

25RDSWE has:
1. a larger freshtank capacity (54 vs 46 gal)
2. smaller gray tank (38 vs 69)
3. larger black tank (38 vs 30)
Old 03-12-2024, 12:58 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I am a little concerned about the dish soap getting into the black tank. Is this an issues? I have some research to do.
Why would you be concerned about the soap? Many folks add Dawn to the black tank when doing the "GEO" method of cleaning the black tank.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, sink, water