Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
stingray7574

Need advice

My grandmother bought a new keystone camper(not sure of model) in 2005. its a smaller camper with no slidouts.they dont use it much maybe 20 times since new. she asked me to come over and look at her camper because she thought her camper had a leak. she pointed to a dark spot in the bedroom portion of the trailer(up front). i pushed on it and could feela soft spot.That was all yesterday. after a couple of hours today here is what i found

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/s...ay7574/camper/

This camper is only 5 years old and looks completely trashed. i dont know what to tell her as she bought this to enjoy her retirement with.Is this common? any suggestions as to what i should do would be greatly apreciated. thanks.
Also forgot to mention i looked over the roof and sides of the camper and cant find any place that might have leaked water
stingray7574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

From your photos and description, it appears as though this unit has had some significant damage due to leakage. Leaks in RV's are not uncommon but can be prevented, in most cases, by careful watchful inspection and regular maintainence. But it is too late to speak about what might have or should have been done. Water can come in through windows, roof vents, exterior lights, slides, and a variety of other places. It can enter in one place and travel to other parts of the camper. A cursory inspection of the roof and sides may not be enough to pinpoint exactly where the leak is.
As far as what to do, that is a dilemna. In its present condition, you won't get much if you decide to sell or trade it in. Not many people would want to purchase it as it is now. If you decide to go ahead and repair it, you should have some idea as to the extent of the damage and cost of repairs. You might want to take it in to a reputable RV repair center and get an report of the damage and an estimate of how much it will cost. Is there any work that you can do yourself? If you are handy, perhaps the costs can be kept down somewhat by doing all or some of the work yourself? The damage may be confined to a small area as you described but there may also be widespread dry-rot beyond what you can see.
I don't have a lot of answers for your grandmother's situation - it is not one that I would want to find myself in. Perhaps other members will be able to offer some better direction and advice and will post their responses.